I need dandelion seeds that are confirmed

Pawciorc

Location (City and/or State)
Malta
Hi everyone!
I am desperate now. I got seed mix from tortoiselady- zero dendelion sprouting. I ordered dandelion seeds from Aliexpress- no success. I went to Poland to visit my family and took some seeds from backyard dandelions. Never managed to make a single sprout.
I live in Malta, dry and hot climate, but tried in winter when temps were 10/15 C night day, Perhaps some good person in here has a good confirmed seeds and would be able to send to me by standard post? I cover all expences.

myhi77

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!
I am desperate now. I got seed mix from tortoiselady- zero dendelion sprouting. I ordered dandelion seeds from Aliexpress- no success. I went to Poland to visit my family and took some seeds from backyard dandelions. Never managed to make a single sprout.
I live in Malta, dry and hot climate, but tried in winter when temps were 10/15 C night day, Perhaps some good person in here has a good confirmed seeds and would be able to send to me by standard post? I cover all expences.

I bought some from Carolina Pet Supply two years ago. I planted them last spring and nothing came up. However, this year they are everywhere. I'm not sure if they just needed the extra time or I planted them too deep to begin with. When you think about it dandelions sow themselves by the wind and where they "land" they grow. So I'm thinking I shouldn't have buried them with even the little bit of dirt I did use. I wasn't so happy with them last year, but I sure am this year. I know it is frustrating when you want good stuff for your tortoises. Hang in there. Here is a link to their web site I purchased my seeds from. http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/

Prairie Mom

The previous comment is totally right. I'm curious about how you are planting them? When I bury my dandelion seeds even a tiny bit hardly any seeds germinate, BUT if I just lay the seeds on top of some coco coir or peat moss, put the seeds under some light, and mist them with a spray bottle daily they germinate like champions:)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The previous comment is totally right. I'm curious about how you are planting them? When I bury my dandelion seeds even a tiny bit hardly any seeds germinate, BUT if I just lay the seeds on top of some coco coir or peat moss, put the seeds under some light, and mist them with a spray bottle daily they germinate like champions:)
Huh, and that's why I had to resort to mature dandilion planting, not one of my 5000 seeds popped up. Yeah I buried them too. :(.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you think about dandelions growing in the wild, each see is attached to its own "parachute"

When it lands, it will rest on the surface, not bury itself.

I suspect burying the seeds is the cause of the problem here

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi everyone!

Perhaps plant a section of beautiful manicured turf...pretend that you don't want any dandelions to grow there....then come out the next morning and there will likely be some..:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dandelions are funny this way. Its not like other seeds where you just plant them and they grow.

I think dandelion seeds need to weather a winter outside for them to develop.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been collect dandelion seeds and sprinkling them where I want them for years. I will find lots of dandelions going to seed from now until fall. I sprinkle them constantly, but they never develop. Then after winter, they start popping up all over the place where I sprinkled the seeds a year ago. I've tried to "plant" them, and its never worked for me. Seems there is some sort of "diapause" for some seeds.

Same with broadleaf plantain. @Carol S gave me some seeds from this big giant beautiful plantain growing in her yard and I was so excited to get them planted. I sprinkled them all over one of my 3x12' planters and… nothing. I was so disappointed. Then, months later, toward the end of winter, lots and lots of little sprouts started popping up. Now, three years later, that planter is one of my main food producers. I rip 20-30 giant foot long leaves out of there to feed out every other day and it just continuously grows more and more. I had a gopher attack in there last fall and it wiped about half of it out before I finally killed the little sucker, but it has already come back with a vengeance. You'd never know.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Made my day that Tom. Next year I may end up thinning the weeds out :D . Makes sense really. They drop seed, winter comes then the following spring things start to grow.
When I've re-planted weeds I've always taken a full spade of the area the weeds in, not just plucked the weed out.
That's why I keep getting shouted at, divots all over the garden.

Pawciorc

Malta
Thx all for feedback.
The only thing I didnt try was to saw the seeds on the sufrace. Will give a shot.
Anyway I browsed internet and found info about plating seeds 0,5-1 cm under the surface and moist regulary, which I was doing. Actually my seeds stay in the soil since August 2015. And no chance for a real winter in Malta- minimum what they will get will be 8-10 C once a year.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thx all for feedback.
The only thing I didnt try was to saw the seeds on the sufrace. Will give a shot.
Anyway I browsed internet and found info about plating seeds 0,5-1 cm under the surface and moist regulary, which I was doing. Actually my seeds stay in the soil since August 2015. And no chance for a real winter in Malta- minimum what they will get will be 8-10 C once a year.
Maybe start them in a seed tray in the fridge?

Pawciorc

Malta
Info that I found stated that they germinate better in higher temperatures. I also think that sunlight might be a factor here, :rolleyes:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The seeds don't germinate at cooler temperatures, but some seeds benefit from a cool period before sowing. Whenever you do something to prep the seed before sowing, it's called stratification. Afterwards, for germination, you should probably aim for temps between 21-27*C. This is the ideal range for most seeds.

Pawciorc

Malta
So you suggest to put the seeds into the fridge for a while and then try to saw?

Pawciorc

Malta
done, just wondering for how long should they stay there?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We should make an experiment of this.

I see 4 pots:
1. Plant them and cover with a quarter to half inch of soil.
2. Just drop them on the surface of the soil.
3. Drop them on the surface and then put them in the freezer for a month. Then put them somewhere warm for germination.
4. Same as #3, but use the fridge.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We should make an experiment of this.

I see 4 pots:
1. Plant them and cover with a quarter to half inch of soil.
2. Just drop them on the surface of the soil.
3. Drop them on the surface and then put them in the freezer for a month. Then put them somewhere warm for germination.
4. Same as #3, but use the fridge.
@ZEROPILOT can't get dandilion seeds to grow in Florida , he's given up trying. Is it because they don't have it cold enough?