I just joined

mamaofthree

Hi. I just signed up. I like having a hub for some quality information. It seems like every website has something different to say about torts. I am somewhat experienced having owned several torts in my life and owning two right now, but I always like tips and tricks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, Mama, and welcome to the Forum!

Be prepared to toss out all that old stored (in your head) info on tortoise-keeping. We have come a long way and now have much more current views on the subject. Most of what you read on the web is outdated material.

mamaofthree

I find the web to be too confusing. There seems to be no end to contradictions--especially with feeding instructions. But then the web is like that for almost everything. It's wondrous that people can decide for themselves at all after reading web information! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I find the web to be too confusing. There seems to be no end to contradictions--especially with feeding instructions. But then the web is like that for almost everything. It's wondrous that people can decide for themselves at all after reading web information! :)

You speak the truth here! We get so many members here that have done weeks or months of "research" only to find out that they've bought all the wrong stuff and done it all the wrong way. Its frustrating for us to see this time after time, but its got to be really trusting for them.

Hello and welcome. What species have you got? Where are you?

mamaofthree

You speak the truth here! We get so many members here that have done weeks or months of "research" only to find out that they've bought all the wrong stuff and done it all the wrong way. Its frustrating for us to see this time after time, but its got to be really trusting for them.

Hello and welcome. What species have you got? Where are you?

I have two baby sulcata torts, Mr Muggles and Hetti. I live in Texas. Thanks for the welcome.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I also reside in Texas . The Houston area to be exact . Welcome following Tom he can help with care for your little guys .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

mamaofthree

I also reside in Texas . The Houston area to be exact . Welcome following Tom he can help with care for your little guys .
We live in Pflugerville, near Austin. It's sort of a great state in which to have tortoises, given the dry, hot summers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
[QUOTE="mamaofthree, post: 1309994, member: 87593" ...It's sort of a great state in which to have tortoises, given the dry, hot summers.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the things Yvonne mentioned in her earlier post here. Hot and dry was the old thinking for this species. We were wrong. That idea was based in incorrect assumptions. We now know that during the time of year when its hot and dry over there, they hide in their damp, warm underground burrows. They thrive with hot wet summers. The best looking sulcatas you'll see are grown in South FL. Hydration and humidity make this species thrive, especially when they are small. They can survive dry conditions, but warm humid hydrated conditions make them thrive.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
[QUOTE="mamaofthree, post: 1309994, member: 87593" ...It's sort of a great state in which to have tortoises, given the dry, hot summers.

Welcome!!!
You're going to learn so much on this forum!

Last edited by a moderator:

mamaofthree

[QUOTE="mamaofthree, post: 1309994, member: 87593" ...It's sort of a great state in which to have tortoises, given the dry, hot summers.

What about respiratory problems? I know cold and wet is no bueno....or at least everyone I have heard from says so...but does dampness lead to issues?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not if you don't allow the habitat to get cold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about respiratory problems? I know cold and wet is no bueno....or at least everyone I have heard from says so...but does dampness lead to issues?

I've raised 100s of hatchlings in conditions that would make New Orleans seem dry and cool. Not one single problem ever. Now my threads have been translated into several other languages and people all over the world have been raising them this way and getting the same results.

My adults have tubs of water in their heated night houses all winter long, and my temps are similar to yours most of the time. Sulcatas are not prone to shell rot, and respiratory issues just do not happen unless you let it get cold.