Hi,just joined

Tony B

Location (City and/or State)
Cedar Park,Texas
I hope to purchase a Russian Tortoise soon,and I would like to learn all I can about care and reputable purchase.
I have read Quite a bit and would like to learn more,and any tips, tricks, or secrets to caring for a Russian tortoise in central Texas would be awesome.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Probably the best route to learning tips, tricks, and secrets, is to read the specialty thread on the species. Of course there aren't secrets, that's why reading the thread will be a best guide. There is no knowing what your previous learning has provided you with for knowledge, so no one can fill those gaps better than you. That makes sense?

https://tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/ . This is the thread, which can also be found through the menu across the top of the page. Ask questions within the context of the post that drives your curiosity, it will be listed in the new posts, no matter how old the thread is.

Welcome to TFO.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Welcome!

One secret I know about Russians: don't buy them from the pet store. The store that I groom at is always taking their new torts to the vet for worms and respiratory issues. When I started reading this forum, I learned that this is a common thing because pet store vendors (breeders) often just catch Russians from the wild. It's so hard not to bring them all home (oh yes, I sneak out to the floor to cuddle and soak them when I have the chance!), but I've seen enough pet store Russians pass away or get returned that I have the willpower to just wait for a healthy one from a breeder.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
There are several respectable breeders on TFO so do your research. AS A NEWB I knew squat about tortoises even though I have had dogs and cats all my life. TFO offered me the ability to go from zero to hero in a few months. I strongly recommend setting up and dialing in the enclosure first-I know the waiting SUCKS- but why practice with a live animal! If you can't get plants to grow why endager a tort! I wish you the best of luck and please post pictures!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome good luck in finding that special friend!

Tony B

Cedar Park,Texas
Thanks you everyone,I am learning a lot,I have reviewed all of the Russian tortoise posts for the past couple of years,and have read the beginner's files,good stuff,now I'm reading new posts and learning from what others are experiencing with health issues and escape artists and environment ins and outs,soaking it in,I'm not discouraged,and I can't wait to welcome my new friend,In the next couple of weeks I will put together a habitat,one full time in house and a day run outside,thanks again.

dmilam

North Texas
I hope to purchase a Russian Tortoise soon,and I would like to learn all I can about care and reputable purchase.
I have read Quite a bit and would like to learn more,and any tips, tricks, or secrets to caring for a Russian tortoise in central Texas would be awesome.

Watch Craigslist in Austin, you’ll find Russians listed occasionally.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome!
You are very wise to research first and get everything set up before you bring your tort home.
Have you considered re-homing an older tort? There's plenty out there in need of a good home.

Tony B

Cedar Park,Texas
I have considered it,but I would like to start from the beginning,for the experience,I thought of adopting a yearling for the stability,but I don't know still deciding.