I have Some Questions on Squrtles Food.... :D

Kaitlyn-Marie

Location (City and/or State)
largo FL
So before i had Squrtle he had an owner for 5 years, She didn't feed him lettuce of leafy greens before. she DID feed him tortoise kibble in this jar with some fruit every so often. I wonder:

1- He is allowed to have leafy greens?

2- If so, How do i ease him into his new diet? (i don't want him to be sick)

3- How much of his diet should be Fruit?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The diet of Russians is weedy and leafy greens. They can’t digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so sweet foods, including fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot, should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

To introduce a new food you have to take it very slowly. Your tort will behave like a child that only wants to eat chips and chocolate - you're the parent in charge!

Here's a step by step guide:

1. Chop the foods your tort will eat very small and wet them

2. Chop a tiny amount of new food very small and mix it with the rest. The water will stick it together so the new stuff cannot be picked out.

3. If your tort eats everything, at the next feed increase the amount of new food very slightly and decrease the liked food by the same amount.

4. If your tort refuses to eat then leave the food in place for 24 hours and then replace with fresh in exactly the same proportions.

Very gradually, over weeks not days, your tort will start accepting the new food as normal. Take it slowly and don't try to hurry it. A hungry tort will give in and eat.

Your tort can go a long time without food, but not water. A thirty minute soak is essential on days when there is a hunger strike.