I have a youngster!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Last week I got a two year old Burmese Star! (read about my other new baby on the lizard forum). It's been an exciting week.

Anyway, he (I think), is settling in nicely. He's eating and drinking, haven't seen poop yet but not concerned. His enclosure has lots of obstacles and hills and tunnels, and he is already adept at navigating them.

He still doesn't have a name. I'm considering 2, and want your opinions.

First is a weird one, but has a reason. The name is Sulafat, pronounced soo/lah/fit with the emphasis on lah. It is actually the name of a star visible in our night sky, and it means "tortoise". There's a mythological legend about it as with so many stars and constellations. But how cool! A star named tortoise!

Second choice is Hollywood...he's a star! What does everyone think?

Here's a few pix of the star himself, mugging it for his adoring fans..

20200627_140103.jpg
20200626_140447.jpg
20200627_141406.jpg20200627_141421.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm glad to see you get this tortoise. He's a beaut! I like the first name choice, but it's easier to say with the emphasis on the first syllable.

ISU

South Korea
He looks great! I don't know which one is better because I don't speak English well, Congratulations anyway!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congrats, I am truly jealous. I love the name Sulafat. So beautiful ?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Oh my goodness is he precious!! Wow, you have had an exciting week. Congratulations on your new family members! I love the name Sulafat, especially now that I know the meaning but both names are great. Hollywood rolls off the tongue easier. Maybe Hollywood can be a term of endearment. My tortoises name is Dozer, but rarely does he get called by his actual name...he’s got many nicknames or things I call him as terms of endearment.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Where did you get this beautiful tortoise from?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm glad to see you get this tortoise. He's a beaut! I like the first name choice, but it's easier to say with the emphasis on the first syllable.
It's interesting that you said that, @Yvonne G. I had no idea how to say it, so I went to my bff Google. I found 3 or 4 places that pronounced it. One said it like you said, and 2 or 3 said it like I wrote. It's a derivative of the Arabic word for tortoise.

So I think you can say it however you want! Thanks for the feedback!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Everyone, thanks for the feedback! I must admit I'm surprised but delighted about the unanimous vote for Sulafat. So Sulafat it is! :D

As to where he came from...through a circuitous word of mouth I met a guy. For personal reasons, we
would prefer that all details of the transaction remain private between us. Everything was above board, just private.

Oh, and he weighs a whopping 304 gms! It's hard for me to talk in such small numbers since Chug was around 3500 gms. ?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Last week I got a two year old Burmese Star! (read about my other new baby on the lizard forum). It's been an exciting week.

Anyway, he (I think), is settling in nicely. He's eating and drinking, haven't seen poop yet but not concerned. His enclosure has lots of obstacles and hills and tunnels, and he is already adept at navigating them.

He still doesn't have a name. I'm considering 2, and want your opinions.

First is a weird one, but has a reason. The name is Sulafat, pronounced soo/lah/fit with the emphasis on lah. It is actually the name of a star visible in our night sky, and it means "tortoise". There's a mythological legend about it as with so many stars and constellations. But how cool! A star named tortoise!

Second choice is Hollywood...he's a star! What does everyone think?

Here's a few pix of the star himself, mugging it for his adoring fans..

View attachment 298598
View attachment 298599
View attachment 298600View attachment 298601
Gorgeous! Congrats

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Love the name! Congratulations on your beautiful new tortoise.