I have a ton of questions , please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Okay so my sister has a redfoot that has shell root and we have found out on here out to treat it, thank u so much by the way, and have already started the treatments. I'm pretty sure it was caused by too wet substrate and too cold of temps.
What's a good way to keep her hydrated while she is having her shell rot treatment ? Soaking in between treatments ?
After her treatment I would like to know what temps her cage shouts be at ? I am keeping it in the high 70s and the range of 80s right now.
She doesn't have a basking UVA light , I read on the Caresheet posted on this forum that it wasn't good. I have a 100 watt infrared light instead and I was wondering what the top temps directing under the lights should be. I don't want it to hot.
The perfect humidity level I need to is another thing I don't know. I was thinking around 60 to 70 but I don't know. The Caresheet said humidity was important but it doesn't say what level to keep it at.
What humidity levels should the hide be at ?
I am starting a new diet of two days greens (collard , mustard, turnip, and some kale) one day mixed fruit sprinkled with vitamin D and calcium, two days greens, one day a special fruit treat with greens and then one day of cat food with calcium... I am very sceptical about the cat food. I bought a really good all natural brand of wet canned cat food.
The lighting all I plan to use is one CHE 100 watt and one 100 watt infrared light with natural shading around its area and she will have a hide box. No UVA or UVB , but I do plan to take her outside at least once a week or put her under a UVB for a little bit once a week if temps don't allow cause she needs at least some.
Any help would be awesome , I just want to make sure what I am doing here on out is right and perfect
A lot of this I got from the turtletary Caresheet I think its called
-Rebecca

O and another important fact , the tortoise isn't a hatchling , she is at least a her old or so. I know hatchling care greatly differs from grown up care sometimes

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
BrinnANDGupta said:
Okay so my sister has a redfoot that has shell root and we have found out on here out to treat it, thank u so much by the way, and have already started the treatments. I'm pretty sure it was caused by too wet substrate and too cold of temps.

There are several causes for shell rot, but wet substrates seem to be a big one. Once it starts, it also opens opportunities for bacterial or fungal infections as well.

What's a good way to keep her hydrated while she is having her shell rot treatment ? Soaking in between treatments ?

Soaking, proper humidity (which you can do without soaking the substrate), live plants, etc. will all help.

After her treatment I would like to know what temps her cage shouts be at ? I am keeping it in the high 70s and the range of 80s right now.

Aim for a range of about 80-88f in the day. It can drop some at night safely. Having the opportunity to find a place they like is more important than exact temps, so lots of hiding places, basking sites, etc. helps.

She doesn't have a basking UVA light , I read on the Caresheet posted on this forum that it wasn't good. I have a 100 watt infrared light instead and I was wondering what the top temps directing under the lights should be. I don't want it to hot.

UVA is helpful, but UVB is vital. Don't think of it as a basking light, just think of trying to provide the most realistic sunlight you can- warm, pure white, loaded with UVA and B, and fairly even overall. Aim for 'not too bright' and make sure there is plenty of shade. As for the temps, see the previous note.

The perfect humidity level I need to is another thing I don't know. I was thinking around 60 to 70 but I don't know. The Caresheet said humidity was important but it doesn't say what level to keep it at.
What humidity levels should the hide be at ?

No one knows the 'perfect humidity', but nicely humid overall (70%ish) with some areas of higher humidity (90%ish) seems to work nicely. Humid hides, droopy plants, etc. offer high humid hiding places. There are lots of other ways to build humidity depending on your situation.

I am starting a new diet of two days greens (collard , mustard, turnip, and some kale) one day mixed fruit sprinkled with vitamin D and calcium, two days greens, one day a special fruit treat with greens and then one day of cat food with calcium... I am very sceptical about the cat food. I bought a really good all natural brand of wet canned cat food.

Diet is an important element, and several popular diets have 'quirks' that reflect the author's situation and preferences. There is no real benefit to cat foods other than it is cheap and stores/serves nicely. Other breeders prefer worms and bugs, some recommend pinkies, some chicken or eggs, and so on. In reality, there are a lot of 'meat' options, and they don't need much of it (a serving every month or so seems perfectly adequate with an otherwise balanced diet.) I strongly recommend varying the meat just as you would the other parts.

Also- many popular diet plans use a LOT of sweet, wet fruits (every other day or so.) This is nothing like the fruit they eat in the wild- many of which are small, hard, and incredibly 'unsweet'. Berries and cherries are better than many of the 'wetter' fruits, and vegetables with seeds (pumpkin, squash, bell pepper, etc.) are even better in many ways. There is also no real reason to feed fruits as often as some care sheets list- once or twice a week is fine. You can also 'go wild' sometimes and give them a couple of fruits you are about ready to toss- browned apples, etc.

Lots of lettuces and other greens can be used as well to gain even more variety.

The lighting all I plan to use is one CHE 100 watt and one 100 watt infrared light with natural shading around its area and she will have a hide box. No UVA or UVB , but I do plan to take her outside at least once a week or put her under a UVB for a little bit once a week if temps don't allow cause she needs at least some.

If this meets your needs temp wise, fine- but what is the source of balanced white light? Outside sun, unfiltered by glass or plastic, strong enough to give you a tan over time, is great. Offer about an hour a week spread over several sessions. If you are only using an indoor UVB bulb, use it every day, even if for only a few hours.

Any help would be awesome , I just want to make sure what I am doing here on out is right and perfect
A lot of this I got from the turtletary Caresheet I think its called
-Rebecca

O and another important fact , the tortoise isn't a hatchling , she is at least a her old or so. I know hatchling care greatly differs from grown up care sometimes

I thought it was that care sheet. Turtletary has had a lot of success with his tortoises and many people have used his plan very nicely. Others, including myself, believe that it can be improved upon. I also think it is important to check care sheets for things like location biases and long-term success. A care sheet that works for a guy with 50 torts outside in Florida may not make sense for someone trying to keep one in an apartment in North Dakota. Other care sheets get you good looking animals, but they do not reproduce as well as those on other care programs do.

It really is a bit like raising a baby. Rarely will any one source offer you all of the answers you need in your situation. You may want to look at some other care sheets. There are some listed in the 'Helpful Links' section of the Tortoise Library, linked in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.