I just pulled a "Terms of Endearment" on my tortoise

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
She was basking under the UVB light (oddly -- more on that later) and she looked cute with her feet kicked back. Then I walked up and realized her head was stretched out in front of her and her eyes were closed. "Beasley?" I said. Nothing. "BEASLEY!" as I reached for her shell. Poor thing woke up fast and gave me the stink eye. Remember that scene in the movie??

I usually do not use UVB, since Beasley is adult and outside 5 months of the year. I put one in this year on a whim (mercury vapor 100 watt flood). Her temps are perfect -- 80-88 or so, and 95 under the UVB bulb during the day. She has never basked much -- redfoots aren't baskers. She has always had a 100 watt bulb there -- there is no difference temp wise. Could she need more UVB, despite all her outside time, and she knows it? I honestly don't recall seeing her really basking like that before (in 22 years). Thoughts?

Sorry I didn't get a pic. Too much panicking LOL.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
well, redfoot don't need as much uvb (as I'm sure you know after 22 years), but if its easy enough done you could get the incandescent uvb and only use it during the other months shes only inside and for just maybe 3 or 4 hours a day? See if it changes her behavior or anything. My redfoot is much younger (maybe 2) and she loves to chill under her uvb first thing in the morning then go about her day afterwards

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
well, redfoot don't need as much uvb (as I'm sure you know after 22 years), but if its easy enough done you could get the incandescent uvb and only use it during the other months shes only inside and for just maybe 3 or 4 hours a day? See if it changes her behavior or anything. My redfoot is much younger (maybe 2) and she loves to chill under her uvb first thing in the morning then go about her day afterwards
Yes--as I said in the UVB thread, I rarely use one, but thought I would try one this winter. It's been cool so she has been inside the last few days (it should warm back up and give her some more outside days). I was just surprised that her reaction to it is so different than it is to the same strength plain incandescent bulb.