I have a question on a lamp shade which i bought.

Hello I recently bought a new light and shade for my star tortoise. I keep a 6foot by 2 foot indoor enclosure, and the walls are 1foot tall. I wanted to buy a mercury vapor bulb, so I bought the Zoo Med Powersun 100 watts.
I could only find a dome that was 5.5 inches , the National Geographic Heat Lamp. The bulb fit inside and it worked , and the shade said it could be used with 150 watts and below. I saw some videos on Youtube and it said that mercury vapor bulbs are big, and can only fit in 10 inched domes. I don't know whether I can use it or not, otherwise I would return it.. Tell me if the bulb might et a short lifespan, overheat etc.

Attachments

• national geographic heat lamp.jpg
    national geographic heat lamp.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 19

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I believe the step up in size of dome not only is the actual size change...but as you reach the 10+ inch dome you change from a plastic base to a ceramic base ....and with any of the lighting/heating elements for the reptile, a ceramic base is a safe one...the heating/lighting element (bulb or CHE) running for the number of hours commonly used can melt and cause a fire for the plastic base smaller hoods/fixtures....

Its okay ascott I went on the website startortoise.net .And they said that they use a powersun 100 watts inside a 5.5 inch dome . And I know even my dome is 5.5 inches. So I predict it could fit inside. By the way thanks for letting me know.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I believe the step up in size of dome not only is the actual size change...but as you reach the 10+ inch dome you change from a plastic base to a ceramic base ....and with any of the lighting/heating elements for the reptile, a ceramic base is a safe one...the heating/lighting element (bulb or CHE) running for the number of hours commonly used can melt and cause a fire for the plastic base smaller hoods/fixtures....
??
I have several below 5'' lamps for all my pets heat lamps, and they all have ceramic bases :confused:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have my power son 100 W bulb in a 8.5 inch ceramic based dome. But I have been told on this forum that I should use a 10 inch dome.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My enclosure is also 6 x 2 x 1'. I do have the dome hanging on a light stand. About 11 inches from the top of my tortoise witches on top of 4 to 6 inches of substrate.