I got two new babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I got my baby three toed box turtles tonight. I wish I could have gotten them during the day so I could check on them all day. Oh well I might be up alot tonight. I didn't expect them so soon so I really was not ready. They sure are cute :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So glad everything worked out! Pics please!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks guys. They are cute. They didn't eat when I offered them food. What should I do? I set them on a tile with tiny meal worms and cut up strawberries. They didn't touch it.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Angi said:
Thanks guys. They are cute. They didn't eat when I offered them food. What should I do? I set them on a tile with tiny meal worms and cut up strawberries. They didn't touch it.

They might be shy at first....I would put them in a shallow box where they can roam and then put the food in with them...and sneak away from them....they wont let themselves starve.....

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Everyone has a different way of doing things, but this is what I do.
I usually put hatchlings in a small plastic tub with a bit of warm water and then I put in some blood worms. I buy them frozen and defrost a cube (they come in cubes) I put the little tub right in their vivarium so they feel secure. Sometimes they won't eat in front of you. That's what I start them off with. I do this every day until they are eating. When I know they are into a routine and eating I start offering pill bugs, chopped trout worms, wax worms....etc. After a few months I start them on my "mix".....in a food processor I chop (NOT MUSH)...tiny pieces....mazuri, greens, veggies, sweet potato, carrots, and melon or strawberries. (I change it around every week) I add some canned venison to that, or white fish. I've never seen a baby not eat the mix if there was venison in it. Good luck...cute aren't they!!
OH....remember...very important...keep them hydrated. I mist the vivarium about three times a day for hatchlings.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I do the same thing as Terry - I offer them food in shallow water until I get them eating, and then offer them dishes of finely chopped fruits and veggies and live bugs.

In the water I usually offer either blood worms or live California blackworms.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I can't post picks. I know I and a computer illiterate.......

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
We need pics, I would hate to have ban you for not posting any pics :) (J/K)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh no! You mean we're never going to see them?:( :D
What are you using for heat? Be careful when you use any kind of heat and remember that it will dry out the enclosure, so keep misting with warm water. I know I'm being a pest about this, but I just can't stress it enough. These little one's dry out so fast. The reason I mist rather than keeping the substrate too wet is ....shell rot. I would rather have high humidity than everything too wet. So many people have brought me babies that had shell rot. I have two now that came to me with a very bumpy shell and were a mess.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am useing a ceramic heat bulb, but I am changing it to a red bulb. What do you think? So sould their area be dry with just mistings? I am confused. I have a plate of water under the bulb that evatorates and I mist them all day but they worry me so much. Way scarier than tort babies. How many times a day should I feed them. Now I am worried that they are being kept too wet. I am freaking out.
Thank yo SOOOOOO much for advice!!!!!!!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Angi said:
I am useing a ceramic heat bulb, but I am changing it to a red bulb. What do you think? So sould their area be dry with just mistings? I am confused. I have a plate of water under the bulb that evatorates and I mist them all day but they worry me so much. Way scarier than tort babies. How many times a day should I feed them. Now I am worried that they are being kept too wet. I am freaking out.
Thank yo SOOOOOO much for advice!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean about hatchlings. Beside's being so small, they are so scary to take care of. What are you using for substrate? That's OK if it's most..not wet. I use the long fiber moss where they dig under. I wet it with warm water, and squeeze it out and fluff it up. I usually put this under the plants where they love to hide. I try to feed them once a day, but if they don't come out for a day or two, I leave them alone. On the forest floor where they would be hiding under leaf litter, they will only be eating a passing little bug or very small sprouts. They almost never venture out to look for food until they are older. Thirty years of hiking and walking through woods looking for turtles, I've never seen a hatchling. You should get Tell Cook's book.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_tc_2...71&sr=1-2-ent&field-contributor_id=B001JRV4YO

see the moss under the plant. They love to dig in there
001-69.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.