Some big morality issues for my new tortoises

frenchsuite

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Its not unusual for new keepers to not initially grasp the concept of thinking like a tortoise.
But once you do, you'll see things differently.
Tortoises are solitary. And they bully intruders. Sometimes one male with at least 3 females can work. Because it spreads out the bullying. Of course you need a lot of space to even attempt that.
Russian tortoise males are some of the most aggressive fighters in the tortoise world. And I'd say that pound for pound, they may be the most aggressive. With two males often fighting until bloody and badly injured when forced to live near one another.
Russian tortoises are very strong. They are active climbers and are fairly intelligent. But you won't be able to train out any instinctual behavior.
It's unfortunate that you bought two. Because no matter what sex they are, you've got your hands full.

Welcome to the forum from South Florida!
Thank you. Right now each of them lives in a 75 gallon enclosure. I also put the enclosure outside as I am in Alabama and the weather is good here.

I think later I will custom build a large wooden enclosure for them. But I will need to learn how to build things (I am from China and I don't know how to install even a light bulb because most of my time were spent in school studying).

I think given that the tortoises don't know morality, I will probably just keep them separated forever. I also don't plan to provide "girl friends" for them as I know now one girlfriend is not enough and my wife does not know the Idea of having a "king" with a number of queens/concubines together.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Thank you. Right now each of them lives in a 75 gallon enclosure. I also put the enclosure outside as I am in Alabama and the weather is good here.

I think later I will custom build a large wooden enclosure for them. But I will need to learn how to build things (I am from China and I don't know how to install even a light bulb because most of my time were spent in school studying).

I think given that the tortoises don't know morality, I will probably just keep them separated forever. I also don't plan to provide "girl friends" for them as I know now one girlfriend is not enough and my wife does not know the Idea of having a "king" with a number of queens/concubines together.
You are making the right decisions! As you probably know 75 gallons is too small for them, as they are probably fully grown adults. I myself used multiple raised garden beds put together to make the enclosure, which I found pretty easy. I am sure that you will find building advice on this forum!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
75 gallons is like keeping a pony a bathroom. That's like 4' by 1.5' correct? That is much much much too small

frenchsuite

Alabama
75 gallons is like keeping a pony a bathroom. That's like 4' by 1.5' correct? That is much much much too small
1000012750.jpg

It's like this (above). Probably too small. I will find someone in Home Depot build a larger wooden one in the summer.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes, you can go to a thrift store and buy an old bookcase and put it down on its back, line it against moisture and then put substrate down. That will likely be cheaper. It won't be a permanent solution but can work well.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

I see.
We didn't (I didn't) take into consideration any cultural differences. But I understand now.
And the initial confusion makes sense now.
They'll be fine without any girls around.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am from Jamaica in the Caribbean. All the best information is right here. Happy tortoise keeping!