I got an incandescent bulb

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks like the right kind. But I agree, it needs to be in a dome. The dome can have either the ceramic or plastic socket. Most other types of reptile heat lights should be in a ceramic socket.

tortyboyman

UAE, Abu Dhabi
Its the type that gives off heat and light. If that's the question.
But without a dome fixture. It's going in every direction
Is it a necessity? It just seems like every single dome I find is around atleast 30x the price of the bulb i purchased here in the UAE.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it a necessity? It just seems like every single dome I find is around atleast 30x the price of the bulb i purchased here in the UAE.
The ones with the plastic sockets should be cheaper. Also don't shop pet stores for them, but hardware stores or home improvement stores, like what a Home Depot is. Even Amazon might be cheaper.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Check basking area temperatures with a thermometer probe. If it's 95-100F and twice as large as your tortoise - then you don't need a dome.

Domes are sold in hardware/DIY stores, farm supply stores too and maybe car supplies shops not only in pet shops, you can look there.

Another solution, that I wouldn't recommend for a long term is to make your own lamp shade out of a metallic wire and of a few layers of tin foil: make a couple of wire rings, connect them with 4-8 "side" wires and carefully wrap it with foil (try to keep the inner surface smooth, "mirror-like"). Aim for diameter of 12-14 inches. You will see how it affects basking area temperatures.

tortyboyman

UAE, Abu Dhabi
The ones with the plastic sockets should be cheaper. Also don't shop pet stores for them, but hardware stores or home improvement stores, like what a Home Depot is. Even Amazon might be cheaper.
Ill go look around in the same electronics shop I bought it from, I believe I will find it. Thank you all for your advice.