Incandescent bulb ban

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
They will stop production on the 31st of December. Go to your local wal-mart and stock up! Kind of like Elaine on the sponge episode of Seinfeld! LOL! I got about 5 four packs and plan on getting plenty more before they disappear from the store shelves.

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
My local Lowes had the 75w on their clearance rack and I asked the department manage about them and he told me to make him and offer. I told him a buck a pack and he jumped on it so fast it wasnt funny. These were brand named ones too. I think I took like 6 packages. I probably should go back and see what they have left of the 60s and 75s.

Saleama said:
They will stop production on the 31st of December. Go to your local wal-mart and stock up! Kind of like Elaine on the sponge episode of Seinfeld! LOL! I got about 5 four packs and plan on getting plenty more before they disappear from the store shelves.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I would assume they are still going to be sold for reptile use though, no? How else would we heat our enclosures?

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
lisa127 said:
I would assume they are still going to be sold for reptile use though, no? How else would we heat our enclosures?

No there is a total ban on these type of incandescent bulbs. Now as far as I know and understand the CHEs will still be produced. But I do believe many of the flood lights are also on the ban list. They are going to led versions which we know produce no heat.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, so are you saying the only way to heat reptiles from now on is going to be CHE's?

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
I am not a big Wiki person but I just read this article on the bulb ban. From the looks of things its just not the US that is banning its pretty much a world ban from looking at the map. Here is a link to the article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs

The electrical manage at Lowes I was talking to also told me there was a change going on with the plug in style halogen bulbs as well. I can remember what he told me but some of those are being fazed out as well.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I believe specialty bulbs are excluded. And it isn't a ban on incandescent bulbs. It bans energy inefficient incandescent bulbs. Incandescent bulbs that meet stricter energy efficiency requirements are not affected. There are better options for heating and better options for lighting so I don't see it as a great loss.

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
lisa127 said:
Ok, so are you saying the only way to heat reptiles from now on is going to be CHE's?

Im not saying that just not going to be able to get incandescent after they run out. I believe the production of the MVB will still be allowed for now. I just knew there were people using the incandescent as a supplements heat source. For instance I use a strip florescent uvb and 75 watt bulbs for my heat and basking.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
In my research here, I saw an article that mentioned phasing out flourescents as well. And eventually having only LED. Then what do we do?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lisa127 said:
In my research here, I saw an article that mentioned phasing out flourescents as well. And eventually having only LED. Then what do we do?

We must harness the power of the sun!!! Seriously though, there are other alternatives and I am sure there will be options available. However, the COST of those options is going to most likely be cost prohibitive to the casual keeper.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
As already stated, there is better, longer lasting, and more efficient alternatives to the regular incandescent bulb on the market already. The technology will only get better once incandescents are completely phased out....

Besides, the bulb companies have stock piles of incandescents that will continue to be distributed for years to come....It is not like they will disappear January 1st...

shaf1457

5 Year Member
Ohio
EricIvins said:
As already stated, there is better, longer lasting, and more efficient alternatives to the regular incandescent bulb on the market already. The technology will only get better once incandescents are completely phased out....

Besides, the bulb companies have stock piles of incandescents that will continue to be distributed for years to come....It is not like they will disappear January 1st...

No the supplies will not be out for a while. Just the manufacturing and importing must stop for the bulbs listed. The 75s where fazed out a while ago and you can still find those on store shelves but supplies are starting to dwindled down and some of the big box store will soon quite carrying them because they want what is new on their shelves. This is why you are starting to see the incandescent on their clearance shelves.

The original post was only started as a reminder and not meant to scare anyone. You just dont hear much on the "tv" news about it anymore because its not "big" news. But in the end this could help out those that do use these bulbs because you might be able to find a good deal on them and just stock up. :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
EricIvins said:

While it might have already been stated, it has yet to be disclosed. What are these better, longer lasting and more efficient alternatives? There are plenty of bulbs out there , however, the cost of some of these is extrordinary! The first batch of bulbs I bought when I got my first two Sullies cost more than the tortoises did and they were burnt out withing two months.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Saleama said:

This is my plan also. I intend to get what I can for my own human use. I have tried some of the "so called" better bulbs at their much higher price range and have not been pleased with output or life span. :( I wish I could find some of those 75 watt bulbs. They disappear from shelves here quite awhile back. :(

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Jacqui said:
Saleama said:

This is my plan also. I intend to get what I can for my own human use. I have tried some of the "so called" better bulbs at their much higher price range and have not been pleased with output or life span. :( I wish I could find some of those 75 watt bulbs. They disappear from shelves here quite awhile back. :(

I went to Wal-Mart and put a few packs of 60's and a few 75's. The 60's rang up $1.68 and the 75's rang up $6.98. I put them back, lol. Going this afternoon to stock up. While they might not stop selling them imediately, the price will most likely increase. I need to get a good enough supply to last until my babies get to go outside forever.