I got a bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WV
Thank the LORD i got a beared dragon for 100 dollars for Christmas with everything. Also he is a sandfire morph. Ill post pics later. I have a merry Christmas guys.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
RE: I got a beared dragon

Cool, can't wait to see pics :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Congrats! Beardies are awesome. I love my baby boy, even if he is a royal pain in the you-know-where most the time. (I suspect I have one of the the most stubborn beardies in existence when it comes to picky eating. He's lucky he's the king, or he'd have gotten the boot a long time ago... lol!)

Looking forward to pics!!

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Turtle Guru said:
Thank the LORD i got a beared dragon for 100 dollars for Christmas with everything. Also he is a sandfire morph. Ill post pics later. I have a merry Christmas guys.

Can't wait to see photos .
I have a very spoiled 21" 850 grm female .
We got here 3 yrs ago when she was just 3 1/2 inches long .
Be prepared to buy lots of baby crickets for the first 7 months or 14 " in length .
At this age you can switch from ctickets to super worms .
Merry Christmas

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
81SHOVELHEAD said:
Turtle Guru said:

Can't wait to see photos .
I have a very spoiled 21" 850 grm female .
We got here 3 yrs ago when she was just 3 1/2 inches long .
Be prepared to buy lots of baby crickets for the first 7 months or 14 " in length .
At this age you can switch from ctickets to super worms .
Merry Christmas

They definitely do eat a TON of crickets!

I don't agree with the super worm sentiment, though. They have very poor nutrition, and are mostly a very tough exoskeleton. Personally, I'd sooner stick to crickets than feed supers, well, ever to my beardie. (But, I also had a big issue with my boy getting big time constipated and nearly impacted from eating too many Supers, so I may be a little biased against them.. Never had that problem with Crickets or Dubias)

There are tons of better feeders than Supers. Dubia roaches are a fantastic feeder, much meatier than crix and mealies, and you can breed those yourself, easy peasy... Then there's the highest quality (but, consequently, most expensive) feeders: Silkworms and Pheonix worms... Hornworms are up there, too, and my boy's favorite. There's a dozen other species of roaches that all make better feeders than Superworms. Plenty of options.

This is my favorite reference when I'm trying to decide what to feed my boy... They go through and give key nutritional information on different food options (bugs and veggies), and a recommendation on how often (if at all) to feed that item to your dragon: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Of course, to each their own. I don't know how well or if your dragon eats veggies, or how often he gets supers. My dragon won't touch anything that doesn't move, so if I chose to feed him exclusively on Supers, I'd just be begging for big trouble.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Well thank you, i feed mine some vegies and she actually has been eatting some of them. Also i dont feed mine supers and i feed my girl crickets. Also thanks for the website too.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
If she's eating greens readily for you, I'm very jealous... Lol. Beardies are supposed to be primarily herbivorous as adults, but I guess Man Ray never got the memo... :p

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Floof said:
If she's eating greens readily for you, I'm very jealous... Lol. Beardies are supposed to be primarily herbivorous as adults, but I guess Man Ray never got the memo... :p

Hahaha she is eatting her greens and vegitables anytime i give her some. She is such a great eatter haha. :D

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Turtle Guru said:
Floof said:

Hahaha she is eatting her greens and vegitables anytime i give her some. She is such a great eatter haha. :D

Like I said. Uber jealous! Mine is SUCH a brat. So I take it she's settling in well for you?

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Lucky, I always wanted a bearded dragon.. they have cute personalities.. except I can't handle feeding them bugs. I'm afraid of bugs :(

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Lushcious--The bug thing isn't too bad. After awhile, you get over the squeamishness. It especially helps if you can get something that doesn't make you as squeamish... Like Silkworms, though on the expensive side of feeders, are basically caterpillars--not much creepy there.

On another note, though, there's Uromastyx. Similar to Beardies in many ways, but completely herbivorous... Don't need any bugs what-so-ever. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.