I feel like I'm starving my torti

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggieL

5 Year Member
Lately Niko has been biting at everything. My bracelet, anything he can find when he is out roaming, his food dish, me(which I'm used to!)... I don't know what his deal is. He comes to the side of his enclosure whenever I'm nearby and stares at me...my fingers and waits. I feed him his "salad" for 20 minutes everyday...nothing is different about it. What's the deal?! :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They have different appetites at different times of the year sometimes. Springtime for example. If you have a russian and he's not hibernating, his body might think its spring time and time to eat.

Never heard the 20 minute rule. Most of us just feed them a pile of food about the same size they are. If they eat it all up right away, I'll give them a little more in the afternoon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Biting can sometimes be a sign of aggression, nothing much to do about it, just watch your toes. FYI they will always act hungry it is in their nature.

MaggieL

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Biting can sometimes be a sign of aggression, nothing much to do about it, just watch your toes. FYI they will always act hungry it is in their nature.

He's just never acted like this before, just the last few days.

Tom said:
They have different appetites at different times of the year sometimes. Springtime for example. If you have a russian and he's not hibernating, his body might think its spring time and time to eat.

Never heard the 20 minute rule. Most of us just feed them a pile of food about the same size they are. If they eat it all up right away, I'll give them a little more in the afternoon.

Hmmm, the 20 min thing I've heard everywhere! Maybe I will feed him a little more :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I agree with Tom, I always feed a pile every morning and if they eat everything, I will give them another pile in the afternoon. If they always eat everything, I will give them a little more the next day :). My tortoises like to eat a little in the morning and then go bask and then eat then bask...

pebblelu

5 Year Member
I've never heard of the 20 min. rule either. Now I know if your feeding live insect's to lizards your only suppose to leave them in for 15 to 20 minutes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use the ten minute rule on dogs sometimes. It makes for a ravenous dog who wolfs his food down as soon as the bowl is set in front of him.

Sounds like it has had the same effect on Maggies Tortoise.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The 20-Minute Rule (or 15, 30, etc.) is often cited as a way to control caloric intake in tortoises. I've seen it mentioned 'all over the place' as well.

Here is the deal... wild torts are designed to eat low quality foods all day. They graze and wander and sleep. Sometimes they find something special and will gorge and sleep. Lots of movement and exercise combined with foods low in calories, carbs, sugars, proteins, etc. (although some species can manage carbs and proteins better than others.) but also high in fiber, calcium, and other nutrients.

In captivity, almost everything we offer is 'wrong' somehow. Too much moisture, calories, carbs, etc. and too little fiber, calcium, etc. A wild tortoise's diet looks mostly like a plate of dry hay. A captive tortoise's looks like a delicious green salad.

In the TortoiseLibrary,com, I offer a meal plan for Red-foots but some of it would apply to Russians and others as well- feed all of the low-calorie, high-fiber, high-nutrient foods you want, but limit the richer stuff to an amount about the size of the tortoise's head a couple times a week or so.

M

Maggie Cummings

In the old days we used to advise new keepers to feed as much as they will eat in 20 minutes...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The "20 minute rule" is a good starting place, and I often recommend it, but it isn't an absolute. Each tortoise is a little different and you have to adjust accordingly. Some will get fat eating only what they can consume in 20 minutes - others won't get enough to eat. For others it will be perfect.

If you feel that your tort isn't getting enough, add more as you see fit. Nothing wrong with that.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I used to do the 20 minute rule but my little guy is a slow eater! Now I just put down a pile and kind of guess how much I think he'll eat :p Some days he might get a little more than others.

MaggieL

5 Year Member
Thanks again. Niko seems slow too... I have adjusted his diet, now I give him a bit more, when he's "full" he just stops and basks or burrows, so then I take it away. :) thank you so much for your help everyone. I am so grateful!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
What you can do is leave it there even if he go bask, my tortoises always go later for a couple of bites. Do you weight him every week? It could give you a good indication of his progess?

MaggieL

5 Year Member
Hmm. No I don't weigh him every week, but my husband always feeds him a little when he gets home.... I'll have to buy a kitchen scale huh!?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yes, a food scale or a postal one. When I first got Hermy, someone at the petstore told me to feed him in the morning and after 20 minutes, remove his food. The first day I got him I went to the vet and they put him on a scale, one week later, I had to go back and then when they took his weight, they saw that he lost weight and when I tell the vet what I was doing, he told me to feed him a handful in the morning and then when I get back from work, if his food dish is empty, to feed him again. If you start taking his weight everyweek, you will know if he eats enough or not :)

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Still I believe that we are over feeding our tortoises. They are not mammals with high metabolisms that need food every day. Tortoises are fine with a big meal once a week with grasses and hay in the meantime. It takes a few days for the food to be processed and digested. There is no good in feeding them big meals that often.

-Matt

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I agree with Matt. Mine get fed "reasonably" sized portions three days a week while indoors and have hay available to browse on 24/7. Their metabolism and digestive rate is much slower than that of mammals. Keep in mind that much of a mammals energy (calories) is used to keep their core temperature at normal operating temperatures. Tortoises don't have that need.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The formula for reptiles is 'weight in grams taken to the 0.75th power, times 32 gives you the Basal Metabolic Rate' (WTgr^0.75 x 32 = BMR), which is how many calories the animal needs when they are not active. The multiplier for a mammal's BMR is x64.

The BMR is for inactive animals, and you may drop it even further for some situations, like reptiles in a seasonal 'downtime' or ill, etc. Generally, though, we increase the BMR- most healthy reptiles would get about double the BMR, and we would boost it even higher for animals that are mating or laying eggs, etc. I now usually figure the calorie needs at WTgr^.75 x 64 = daily calories to reflect this.

I have this all charted nice and neatly at http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/nutguide.html sorted by body weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.