Starving my Tortoise!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiaweeze

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex, England
I am getting my tortoise ready for hibernation and have some worries before I do, hopefully someone will be able to help with a few questions I have?

What temperature should I be keeping my tortoise at whist starving him for hibernation? and should he be moving about burning up fat that he needs to get him through the hibernation period? He keeps looking for food and I feel really bad, even though I know its for his own good!

I know these are simple questions but I am a new Tortoise owner and want to make sure he will be safe. Please can someone talk me through what I should be doing, I can find lots of helpful advice on the hibernation environment, but there seems to be a lack of info on the build up to hibernation.

Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kiaweeze:

(Did we ever learn your name?)

Is your tortoise in the house? Then I see no need for you to put him into a forced hibernation (brumation). He obviously doesn't want to or he wouldn't keep looking for food.

If you want him to brumate, then turn the lights on later in the morning and turn them of earlier in the evening...making about an 8 hour day. You can move the light up so that its not quite as warm in the habitat.

Tortoises don't burn calories to stay warm like a mammal does.

If it were me, I'd keep the tortoise up for the winter.

Kiaweeze

5 Year Member
Essex, England
Hi Yvonne, its Michelle!

Thanks for your reply, my Tortoise 'Turbo' has been kept in the garden during the warmer months and during colder periods I have moved him to the vivarium that I inherited with him. The problem is; I understand that the vivarium is not the best place to keep a tortoise long term (am I right?) and during the day he scratches to get out. I let him have a wander around the house for a little while which he seems to enjoy, but this is not a long term solution and its far to cold in England to let him outside. I feel I need to brumate him to span the gap over the winter before he can enjoy the outside again!!
If I were to keep him awake what would be the best environment for him? I am getting really confused with the contradicting advice that I read on various sites on the internet and am beginning to realise that looking after a tortoise is extremely complicated and admire those who are truly dedicated! My whole family loves Turbo so much already (including my 2 cats) and want to look after him the best way possible, something we are willing to learn!

Thanks
Michelle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michelle:

I have never taken care of Hermann's tortoises, so really don't know what is best for them. I can give you "general" information. Buy a large plastic tub or even a water trough. If you look online for sheep water trough, you should be able to find a nice container for winter time. Something like the shorter container in this picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7545231@N03/6145241552/

Then just put in your substrate, a hiding place or two, a slate or rock to feed on and a waterer. You might even have room for a couple plants, real or artificial. You can suspend your light and heat source over the top. I like to suspend them rather than use the clamp fixture, that way you have more leeway on how close or far to hang them.

Good luck and let us know if there are any more answers you need.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
BuffaloSoldier said:
Hibnation = cruel cruel cruel cruel cruel cruel

Why on earth would you ever say or even think such a thing? Hibernation has it's dangers, yes, but it is natural and if done correctly there are few problems. We don't believe they need to be hibernated in captivity, but we are not even certain of that. We may just be overlooking a very important benefit they get from hibernating.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
BuffaloSoldier said:
Hibnation may be cruel. Hibernation is not. It is a natural process and many species of tortoises do it in the wild and in captivity.

Not all species do it in the wild and it should not be attempted with those captive species.

For outdoor kept tortoises, it's an entirely natural prcocess and they naturally starve themselves and wind themselves down, requiring only a clean-up and boxing at the appropriate time. (Some simply dig down and hibernate outside)

This is the first year my tortoise has not hibernated due to illness. He is now fighting fit. I feel it is far more stressful for him being kept awake and fully active in the confines of a 'tortoise table' (albeit a rather large version) than it is hibernating him. We'll get through this winter, but next year hopefully it'll be back on routine in the garden and hibernation in the winter.

Kiaweeze

5 Year Member
Essex, England
Thank you so much for all your helpful advice, just one last question......until I sort out a suitable tortoise table I will be using the vivarium which has a uv tube and heat lamp with thermostat, if I leave the light and heat on during the day and turn them both off at night, the temperature is dropping to about 10 degrees with both off, is this ok? I think I will be hibernating him, but only for about 6 weeks or so, I will be keeping a very close eye on him.

M

Maggie Cummings

I think that if he were ready for hibernation he would not be searching for food. Animals are not stupid, it sounds to me like he does not want to hibernate. I don't hibernate of my animals in including my Hermanni, Queenie. I don't think it's a necessary thing and it's taking too much of a chance to lose a beloved pet. Hibernation is not necessary for healthy tortoises. It sounds to me like you are somewhat hesitant, so I say don't do it. And he can live in that viv just fine...

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
BuffaloSoldier said:

Hibernation is natural......it may not be needed in captivity but it may.....it is your choice is you think you can do it...why not!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Kiaweeze said:
Thank you so much for all your helpful advice, just one last question......until I sort out a suitable tortoise table I will be using the vivarium which has a uv tube and heat lamp with thermostat, if I leave the light and heat on during the day and turn them both off at night, the temperature is dropping to about 10 degrees with both off, is this ok? I think I will be hibernating him, but only for about 6 weeks or so, I will be keeping a very close eye on him.

Yes, they like a temp drop at night. It can be 15C and that's fine.
Be sure to move the heat source to one side of the enclosure so there is a warm/basking side about 33 to 35C and a cool side that he can retreat to, of about 20C. They like to bask, but they don't like to be overheated; they like options.
I don't think a Viv is bad as long as the temps are OK, and there is some air circulation. Cover the lower part of the glass with paper or tape so he can't see out. Eventually you can get a bookcase, turn it on its side, line it, for a larger tort table.
The trend with UK tort keepers is hibernation. He does sound healthy enough to, but you can choose to or not. There are good threads about gradually reducing the lighting and warmth over several weeks, not feeding for 2 weeks prior to hibernation, and soaking well before you hibernate them.
You are doing a fine job with him. He sounds healthy.
You are in this with him for the long run, so eventually you will have a comfortable pattern of care through the seasons.

Kiaweeze

5 Year Member
Essex, England
After much consideration and all your advice I have decided to keep him awake this year until I am fully confident that I am doing things correctly, after all, I love having him about and I just thought that hibernation was something that I should do! I think I will need to start planting some weed seeds to get him through the winter....my neighbours must already wonder why I am letting my garden get out of control with weeds!!!!!

Thanks everyone, I will sleep easier this winter x

DSC03954.jpg

Thought you may like to see a picture of turbo in the summer, he was desperately trying to get my cats tail, she was tormenting him by flicking it at him! She loves her new buddy and often lays next to him sunbathing!

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That picture with your cat is brilliant! A neighbour's Siamese doesn't know what to make of Joe. It keeps creeping up to him on its haunches keeping low and then leaps a mile in the air and runs off when Joe moves!

Status
Not open for further replies.