I extremely need help!! Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Well...
My 6 year old redfoot tortoise i was told was female when i purcheaed her last year but turns out she is male i only sorted her enclosure out for a female now he will get massive and i need a bigger home and i want it now not when he grows,
Im' getting really upset that i can not care for him!!! :'(
Im realy considering getting rid of him i really dont want too but...
Ive' entered the same competition about 21 times and waiting to here my results to win a vivarium for him,
I know there not good for torts but what can i doo...too keep humidity up!!
Outdoor enclosure is impossible i live in britain weathers terrible,
Also i dont want evil replys such as 'You should of considered this when you purchased it' ETC......
And How old are tortoise when they are fully grown PLEASE HELP!!
:( :(

I dont have the money but im trying to rule out getting rid of him!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
MOST captive Red-foots don't get massive. Most stay pretty much in the same general range as the females- 10-14". Sure, some get HUGE, but again- not most of them, and it takes a long time no matter what. You may not have room now, but things can easily change for you in the next 6-10 years.

Vivariums are not the only way to keep the humidity up. A tortoise table can be covered with a 'tent' of plastic sheeting and will keep the temps and humidity up pretty nicely. You have lots of options, and plenty of time to research them before it gets bigger.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would suggest a old bookcase, or building one out of wood. that way you can decide how big it is. You can keep the humidity up in other enclosures, it just takes a little ingenuity.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Why? At 6 years old, it has a couple more years to go before it would usually be considered an adult. How long is he so far? In general, he should add about 1-2" a year about now and be slowing down in a couple more years.

We usually recommend an indoor enclosure that is about 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths, but if it can be outside most of the year (I don't know your climate enough to know how often it CAN go outside) then the indoor habitat can be a bit tighter than that. If it makes it to 12", that would just be an 8'x4' habitat- the size of a sheet of plywood. You can make a very cheap home for it at that size if you have some space that is relatively warm to start with in the winter.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
she is 6inches and she gets outside everytime its warm enough for a tan (dont' get alot of it) and i keep looking for a bookcase impossible to find!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I'm going to take a different tack here.

I understand that the reason that money is tight is that you are young and your parents are going through a divorce, and I understand that you are trying to do the best possible thing for your tortoise.

At this point, I think that maybe the best thing IS to find him a new home, with someone that isn't struggling now. You are young and once you are an adult and have your own money and job and are able to financially support yourself, things will be a lot easier for you and you will be able to get another. You can remain a member of the forum and continue to research and learn and even save up your money to gather materials to build a suitable tortoise table or vivarium and have all of the supplies needed ahead of time.

Ultimately, it is up to you to do what you think is right.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I think you are panicking a little early in the game, Tyler. You have some time to determine a way to house it before it gets to the 200 pound stage (JUST KIDDING!!!). However, if you are unable to house it or there is a chance you will give up before trying, consider visiting shelledwarriors.com. It is a UK site devoted to torts. I am sure you can find someone there that would be able to care for it.

When your panic subsides a little, search this forum for tortoise table or browse the enclosures subforum. There are plenty of relatively inexpensive ways to provide accommodations for your tort. Spend some time looking and plan your best option. When you have decided upon a plan begin saving, scavenging, begging or whatever is necessary to accomplish the goal. You will probably be able to find someone in the vicinity that would be able to help you and make worthwhile suggestions to accomplish the desired end result.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I don't think that there's anything wrong with finding her a new home if you think that she's going to get larger than you can handle. in fact I think that it's a smart decision. Many tortoise owners in the UK seem to prefer the mediterranean types. They're generally on the smaller side, which would definately be a plus for you. You might find someone willing to make a trade. Goog Luck with whatever you decide.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am sorry to hear of your recent dilemma. I have to agree with Art, where there is a will there is a way. It is alright to "change your mind" on what type of tortoise you want to house. It is alright to have life changes that cause you to rethink an original idea/plan....if you should decide that you need to rehome your tortoise, just be certain to take the time and effort to assure the new home is a good one....good luck to you :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Do you have Yard sales over there? Or Craigslist? You should be able to find really cheap book cases for sale there or at a yard sale...
have you considered6-7 years down the line... when you go away to college? Where will the tort live? Who will care for it?
I think you have a few years to decide and figure it all out..
Deep Breath.... Its not an emergency..
Have you also considered an out door enclosure with a heat lamp?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Giving up your beloved tortoises BETTER be OK- I gave up 5 of them about a year ago when things changed quite a bit for me. It was a hard decision, but it was the right one for them and me alike.

As for housing them- there are cheaper ways than a bookcase. For example, make a 8'x4'x4' box out of PVC pipe or cheap lumber. Include some 'railings' or crossbeams about 15-18" up. Use a sturdy plastic tarp, shower curtain, or sheeting to make a bathtub using the crossbeams. Dump in a few inches of cypress mulch, and set up the rest of the habitat. Use some clear plastic sheeting to make a 'tent' over the rest of the framework. You can suspend heaters and lights from the top frame.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Kristina said:
I'm going to take a different tack here.

I understand that the reason that money is tight is that you are young and your parents are going through a divorce, and I understand that you are trying to do the best possible thing for your tortoise.

At this point, I think that maybe the best thing IS to find him a new home, with someone that isn't struggling now. You are young and once you are an adult and have your own money and job and are able to financially support yourself, things will be a lot easier for you and you will be able to get another. You can remain a member of the forum and continue to research and learn and even save up your money to gather materials to build a suitable tortoise table or vivarium and have all of the supplies needed ahead of time.

Ultimately, it is up to you to do what you think is right.

Where's the "like" button? Well said. I personally wouldn't be looking for another tortoise if I can't afford the one I have. I'm not being "evil" I'm just being realistic.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Thank-you all ive'got a sick churning inside my stomach about passing her on...
but if i decide to. i think having no tortoise is going to be so hard ,
So if i sold my tort i would pay for A RUSSIAN tortoise out of that money!

Status
Not open for further replies.