[split] help with feeding a redfoot tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
i have owned a redfooted tortoise for over 1year and now i can think of anymore recipes to feed her haha i always make feeding time differen e.g.- different food,different places, etc....
But i need more homeade recipes' which are good for tortoise i feed her:-
Dark leafy lettuces (not iceberg) red lettuce,cabbage,carrot,fruits,grass,
pinkies,tortoise pellets,dog biscuits,she grazes when outside,
weeds,maybe start feeding timothy hay,cuttlefish for calcium,.......cant think of anything else atm.......
Please help i know i dont need different thing atm....but i realy enjoy preparing her food ??
Btw...i am a 13 year old boy from UK...
:tort::tort:

Attachments

• lola.jpg
    lola.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 17

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tyler:

Redfoot tortoises can have fruit, so you can occasionally provide zucchini, bell peppers, pumpkin, tomato, cucumber, along with what we usually refer to as fruit, peaches, apples, melon, etc.

The key is to provide a nice variety of different things. Have you looked at the link below Madkins' signature? The Tortoise Library.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The Tortoise Library (http://www.tortoiselibrary.com) has articles on diet, shopping lists, and more that may help, although local availability is always different for each of us.

(And THANKS, Yvonne, for the plug!)

Pretty much any greens a human can eat, the tortoise can enjoy- even Iceberg lettuce... as long as it is only part of a balanced, varied diet. Cabbage, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, arugula/Rocket, collard greens, spinach (in moderation), parsley, any of the lettuces, dandelion/chickory, cactus pads, etc.

Non-fruit veggies (remember- if it has seeds, it is probably a fruit, no matter what part of the grocery store it is in)- carrots, celery, sprouts, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Avoid tubers, potatoes, etc. In general, don't use much of this stuff- it is mostly for variety but is generally low in calcium and other key nutrients.

Vegetable fruits- usually in the veggies section- green/yellow/red peppers, squash, pumpkin, cucumbers, pea pods, etc. Avoid the really hot peppers. Use these items somewhat freely.

Common fruits- figs, cactus fruits, cherries, mango, papaya, and pineapple are some of the best options, but almost any fruits work for part of the diet. Avoid too many fruits that are overly sweet or wet- they can cause loose bowels. Naval oranges are OK once in a while, but avoid most other citrus.

There are also a lot of other options- animal foods, meats, yard plants, and more. Many are listed in the Library and elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.