I. D.?.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
VideoCapture_20220428-160407.jpg

We live in Florida (panhandle)). Turtle laid eggs. Need an I.D. please.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Even on my big computer screen that picture you posted is 2.5" tall and 1" wide and that's full resolution - can't zoom in. Hard to see anything! I'm not sure how people end up with pictures so small when posting. When I take a picture on my phone and post here it will zoom in to over 30" wide.

It is a cooter or slider. From you location and the verticle stripe I think I see on the costals, I would guess a Yellow-bellied Slider. Better picture needed to be sure.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Even on my big computer screen that picture you posted is 2.5" tall and 1" wide and that's full resolution - can't zoom in. Hard to see anything! I'm not sure how people end up with pictures so small when posting. When I take a picture on my phone and post here it will zoom in to over 30" wide.

It is a cooter or slider. From you location and the verticle stripe I think I see on the costals, I would guess a Yellow-bellied Slider. Better picture needed to be sure.
Thanks. The pic I posted was actually from someone's video camera. I stopped the video at some point in order to get a snapshot of the turtle. Sorry about the resolution. Did the best I could being that I wasn't the one who took the video/snapshot. Thanks again.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@sibi Not sure why you need to know what type turtle, but whether Slider or Cooter, they are both extremely similar in aspects of habitat, diet, size, etc.

If wanting to know if native to your exact area, it would be Suwannee Cooter for eastern part of panhandle, or Eastern River Cooter if west of Tallahassee - for cooter (Pseudemys) If slider (Trachemys) then Yellow-bellied Slider east of Panama City Beach, and Red eared Slider west of that. However, lots of overlap and intergrades for these two slider species in your area.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
@sibi Not sure why you need to know what type turtle, but whether Slider or Cooter, they are both extremely similar in aspects of habitat, diet, size, etc.

If wanting to know if native to your exact area, it would be Suwannee Cooter for eastern part of panhandle, or Eastern River Cooter if west of Tallahassee - for cooter (Pseudemys) If slider (Trachemys) then Yellow-bellied Slider east of Panama City Beach, and Red eared Slider west of that. However, lots of overlap and intergrades for these two slider species in your area.
You were right about wanting to know if native to my area. Thanks for your info. It's funny that the person who took the pic from her back yard said that after laying eggs, she walked away and looked back at her a couple of times and went off her way.