Status
Not open for further replies.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Hi,

What does it mean when eggs are laid but not buried? I found 4 eggs New Years eve but they are unburied. Previous had 4 eggs laid that were semi buried on Sept.2 but not hatch yet and two laid in August that produced one hatchling.

I'm pretty amazed that my female laid three clutches this year. This is first year of her laying eggs and I read in book that the first year laying eggs usually produces unfertile eggs. Is an accurate statement?

thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In my personal expeirence unburied usually equals not fertile, but you never know put them in an incubator and see what happens.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Definitely incubate them. Best to err on the side of caution.
My first Galbinifrons eggs were laid in a water bowl and both of them were fertile and hatched.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
First time laying females aren't always that great at digging nests. :p Though once they get to the third clutch they are usually pretty good at it.
I've had it run both ways with first clutches being all infertile or all fertile. If I was still getting infertile eggs after the first clutch, I'd be looking at the male being the problem.
Usually females get better at laying with subsequent not worse. I'd look into your laying set-up if she didn't use it this time. By the 3rd clutch, my females are pretty much pros at digging, laying and covering by than.
So laying on the surface can either mean they are infertile or the female didn't like the laying set-up.
Eggs should always be incubated. :D

Danny

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
In my experience with Redfoots, Young females tend to lay more unfertile eggs than older animals.
As for not being buried, That (I feel) could just be youth also. My females tend to get the whole nest building & fertile egg thing down by there second or third season.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Guess what?

The eggs were fertile and the first one hatched last night.

I think two more will hatch shortly. I'm so glad I decided to incubate them

first-day.jpg

day-two.jpg

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
How cute! My day was a little bit gloomy, but seeing that little baby put a big smile on my face. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It looks like he tore that egg apart, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.