Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No. I did not bury a lizard... a heated box, silly.

I took this box that I originally built a year ago and made a few modifications to it.
j8pe9i.jpg

I reinforced the sides, built a little tunnel on the front and put it in a great big hole in the ground.
2hmzyvb.jpg

Here you can see the 2x4 reinforcements, the 1.5" foil backed insulation on the lid (held in place by silicone and more 2x4s), and my "electrical box" that houses the thermostat and keeps Big Boy from messin' with any of the connections.
10mk07s.jpg

Since this box is buried so shallow (its basically AT the surface, instead of 1 foot UNDER the surface , like my other boxes), I only needed a relatively short tunnel to connect it to the surface. About 30" compared to 96" for my tortoise box.
13z1f91.jpg

Here's the backside of the above ground chamber/rain cover, before burial.
23iigrm.jpg

Here is Big Boy himself, enjoying his box. I popped open the lid and he was like, "Hey, I'm trying to rest here...!"
5yvrz7.jpg

Here he is playing "King of the Hill" on top of hid new dirt mound covering his above ground chamber.
rcv5v8.jpg

Here is the whole thing all done. The big lid is hinged and the sun beats down on it all day. The rest of the box is underground. I made the front of the above ground chamber with slots in it, like a guillotine, so that in the winter I can make sure he put himself away and then slide a piece of plywood in there to lock him up for the night.
2zdppxl.jpg

Because the tunnel was so short and the lid was at the surface, I had to make a little "retaining wall" so that I could pile lots of dirt on top of the above ground chamber for insulation, but not bury or interfere with the lid.
2mobjwn.jpg

Here is one last shot of Big Boy lounging in the above ground portion of his new multi-level condo. You can see the tunnel that leads to the underground portion behind him.
2rp4mpx.jpg

The temps in this box are understandably NOT as stable as the boxes that are fully buried 3' feet down, but the temps are still pretty stable. For the last couple of weeks temps have ranged from 50-108, but inside the underground portion of his box it has only gone from 73-83. He'll have a much warmer and safer winter, and the electric bill will be a LOT lower.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hey tom, thats EXCELLENT!!WOW, THATS SO COOL. you tricked me. thought you had lost a pet. what a nice surprize. keep up the good work. ps. if you lived near me , i would ask you to make one for us!'lol' lindy

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I looove those natural enclosures! Fantastic!

From the title I thought one of your lizards had died! :( Glad to see that's not the case.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ChiKat said:
I looove those natural enclosures! Fantastic!

From the title I thought one of your lizards had died! :( Glad to see that's not the case.

You should see them from November through March! It gets like a jungle in there. You need a machete just to walk around.:D

Seriously though, I grow so many weeds in there that ALL of my sulcatas and even the neighbors 100 pounder can't keep up.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I agree.. totally awesome! now if I could figure out a way to make one like this that RV would appreciate..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sharkstar said:
I agree.. totally awesome! now if I could figure out a way to make one like this that RV would appreciate..

I've been stewing on that one for a while now. It will happen eventually, but it will be a pretty large scale construction project. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.