I bought baby turtles

Abdullah Ashaz

Hi Everyone,

We bought our first turtles.
We know nothing about them, not even their type.
Looking forward to pet them for long.
Need all the help we can get.
I am attaching some pics.

Some questions to start with:

Is it tortoise?
What is this turtle category name?
What is needed to prepare their home?

Note: we live in Muscat, Oman.

Attachments

• IMG_20160115_224309921.jpg
    IMG_20160115_224309921.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20160115_224258569.jpg
    IMG_20160115_224258569.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20160115_224251705.jpg
    IMG_20160115_224251705.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 53

Paranub

Those are not turtles, they are tortoise. though i am unsure of the species. (they look like Asian brown tortoise??)
It worries me how you bought something, you have no idea even what they are, How can you make sure you have the correct things to care for them when you don't even know what you bought? That's like buying a setup for a rabbit when you bought a budgie.

The good members on here with far more experience than myself will be able to tell you what you have, but you should have made sure you had the correct setup and enclosures BEFORE buying the animal.

Sorry for sounding rude, but mistaking a turtle for a tortoise can lead and has lead to deaths, since tortoise cannot swim, cannot breathe in water and need specific heat and light requirements.

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Abdullah
Don't let anyone bully you ! A lot of people buy from a pet shop and get the wrong info. But only the smart ones come here for the right info. And your friends here will be happy to help you . Read all you can here there is a lot of info. Have a great day !

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Lovely little tortoises you have.

I don't believe Oman has any native tortoises, but they could be one of the Testudo species from up the Arabian peninsula. One of the T. graeca subspecies, maybe? @HermanniChris will know what they are.

Paranub

Again, sorry if my post came across as aggressive, i've had a bad day :( and was a little surprised by you buying something that you didn't know what it was, but As long as you do not put them in deep water thinking they are turtles, then no harm should be done by not knowing they were not turtles. Hopefully someone can ID them soon for you.

Abdullah Ashaz

Abdullah
Don't let anyone bully you ! A lot of people buy from a pet shop and get the wrong info. But only the smart ones come here for the right info. And your friends here will be happy to help you . Read all you can here there is a lot of info. Have a great day !

Thanks a lot "Grandpa Turtle". Looking forward to gather as much as info from the forum.