I am so worried!!! UGH what a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
My baby turtles were supposed to be here today.

Apparently they are still in Kentucky!!! There was a mechanical failure on a flight, so UPS "rescheduled" my "guaranteed" next day air!! How can they do that?!?!?

I will get them tomorrow. Who knows what is happening to them right now! I am so upset and worried. They are so tiny, poor little babies!

And of course, if they are D.O.A, I will get back the price of the babies, but the shipping was more than the turtles cost!

I have had the WORST day. It was raining and cold up until, of course, ten minutes before I had to go to work. Now it is gorgeous and sunny. Grrrrr. I didn't get a dang thing done outside.

I was working on shifting tanks around, knocked a candle off the warmer, and dumped an ENTIRE big candle of melted wax all over my dresser, down the front of the doors and DRENCHED the carpet. Well, that was a GREAT thing to do with a $15 candle!!!

Then, I had a goldfish I had purchased arriving today. The seller shipped it in only three inches of water, didn't fast it before shipping, the water was filthy, smelled like a sewer, and my pretty white fish has black ammonia burns all over it, and a big sore on its tail. I am so upset for the poor thing. You can't pack a goldfish like you do tropicals, you just can't. You have to clean their digestive tracts, fast them for a couple of days, and give them MUCH more water volume. My friend that bought from the same person got hers today too... Both dead :(

I think I need a hug :(

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Kristina,
You poor girl. Sit down, make a cup of tea and take some slow deep cleansing breathes......
It to shall pass.
Take care and keep your chin up. Hope your little guy gets there safe.
Na

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would suggest 2 things 1. call them and let them know there is live cargo that is temperature sensitive, and 2. get a refund from them for their next day air " guarantee".

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Well, I know it doesn't help much, but I live about 20 minutes (good traffic) from UPS's hub in Louisville and the weather is beautiful today, and is supposed to carry well into the night. So at least you shouldn't have to worry about nasty temperatures hurting the babies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
dmmj said:
I would suggest 2 things 1. call them and let them know there is live cargo that is temperature sensitive, and 2. get a refund from them for their next day air " guarantee".

Because I paid shipping fees to the seller, and she in turn paid for the shipping, I can't do a dang thing :( I already emailed her and told her she needed to contact them ASAP and also find out about a refund. I told her I would split the shipping refund with her if it was granted.

She said she would make some calls, so here is to hoping.

Thanks Chairman, that is reassuring. I have been worried about them sitting somewhere, baking to death.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Oh what a day for you. Let's hope you will get them tomorrow and they will be just fine. Please keep us posted when they arrive.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
**Hugs**
I am so sorry to hear about your day :( You must be so mad at UPS! You paid more to have it today and I am sure your little babies can't wait to arrive to their new mommy :D.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
If you have a tracking number, start calling. I am SERIOUS. If you call and make a big enough fit, they WILL find your babies.

I had the opposite problem--it was getting very cold that day, and my gecko still hadn't arrived. I called the first number I thought was right, and then talked to who ever they put me on the phone with. Start saying "live animal" over and over, and be firm. Don't let them just brush you off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kyryah said:
I think I need a hug :(

Here ya go:

947463e37x8zhuh0.jpg

Or if that coupon has expired:

914758g52l2pcuo3.gif

and last, but not least:

1103992qlwwt97bw8.gif

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are in Wyoming, MI!!! About 2 hours south of me.

I expect them between 8-10 AM. PLEASE keep your fingers crossed for my babies!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry if I missed it, but what kind of turtles are we talking about here?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
2010 Red Belly Cooter, 2010 Stinkpot, and a 2009 Three Lined Mud. I had another thread about them, in this same section of the forum.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Here's hoping you got them safely. Pretty sure i'd be flipping out if my next day air became 2 day. At least it's been pretty warm here in lower Michigan.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yeah, but I'm in upper, and it is cold and wet :(

Getting ready to start blowing up their phone and demanding that they bring my package RIGHT NOW.

They won't answer the phone yet. "Hours of operation are 9AM to 5PM." Blech.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
THEY MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are here, and thank goodness they are ALL fine. I thought the little stinkpot was dead, they were SOO cold, but I got them into warm water right away and they all perked up. They are happily splashing around.

They are all perfect. The little cooter is EXACTLY what I wanted! He is beautiful, very dark. I know it is not easy to tell sex with babies, but if I had to guess by the tail, I would say it is male, which is also what I wanted. They tend to turn more melanistic than the females do, and stay a bit smaller. His skin is jet black with very little yellow, and his shell is so dark the pattern is hard to discern.

I also got a surprise... an extra painted turtle!!! I am not sure what kind he is, possibly a Midland. So I got four babies, two which she gave me for free!!!

I am very pleased with them, they are very healthy. I am impressed with how hard their shells are for being so young. They are very nice babies.

I actually chased the UPS truck down the street, yelling, lol. He pulled up, I thought I heard something, a voice, but he never knocked. I looked out the window and saw the truck, by the time I got to the door, he was pulling away!! I knew those babies could not survive another day in the box, so I took off after him screaming, barefoot, lol. My neighbors probably think I lost it. He was looking at me like I was nuts, so I explained there were live turtles in the package that had already been delayed a day.

Pics coming soon :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a dramatic story, but since the ending is happy, I am sure you will consider all the work and worry worthwhile! :D

Congratulations! And thank goodness turtles are such hardy little creatures...now you will have to think of some appropriate names, reflecting their saga and their strength...:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We've all had issues like this. This is why I prefer to buy stuff in person whenever possible. I remember a recent thread about whether or no to buy from reptile shows. What do you think Kristina? Would it have been better to wait for a show and drive your animals straight home to a waiting enclosure? Of course that's not always possible, but your situation here was racking MY nerves. That suspense is horrible. I've been in that situation too many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.