Red eared slider eggs?

kennedye11

Location (City and/or State)
Thank you so much! You’ve reassured me so much. I was so scared I would do more harm than good. I can barely see through the egg, when I candle from the bottom of the egg. If I candle from the end of the egg I can see a lot more.
5-5 successfully pipped. Almost every other hour one of them pipped. Thank you So much for all the help.

Attachments

• 795AFD7A-DAFD-43CF-B857-7B8017ACF425.jpeg
    795AFD7A-DAFD-43CF-B857-7B8017ACF425.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 0C96EF89-8B23-44FD-BDE9-40DD92FF00B2.jpeg
    0C96EF89-8B23-44FD-BDE9-40DD92FF00B2.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 2

zovick

10 Year Member!
I also have some questions about a tank set up. When they come out of the egg completely, do I just set them in a clean moist area with paper towels? Do they need heat tape, lamps? Water bowls? I know they won’t do much while their still absorbing their yolk. But I’m not sure the environment they need while they are absorbing their yolk.
I could be wrong, but I am betting that the yolk sacs will be pretty well all absorbed by the time these babies are out of their eggs. If not, you can put them in one of the depressions in a styrofoam egg carton for a day or so till they are absorbed. You can put a slightly damp piece of paper towel in the bottom of the depression. Put the egg carton in a tub or tank so you will be able to readily find the babies in case any of them manage to climb out of it.

In the event the yolk sacs are all absorbed when the babies come out, you should begin preparing a tub or tank for their new habitat. They will not need overly deep water yet. I would make it only an inch or two deep and put a good amount of aquarium plants (such as cabomba) in it so they can hide in it and feel safe Also provide a flat rock or a ramp so that they can easily climb up on it to get completely out of the water when they want to do so.

Link to cabomba plants:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B97DNVF6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

These are aquatic turtles and will need to swallow their food under water, which is why I said to make the depth 1 or 2 inches. As they grow, you can increase the depth of the water accordingly.

kennedye11

I could be wrong, but I am betting that the yolk sacs will be pretty well all absorbed by the time these babies are out of their eggs. If not, you can put them in one of the depressions in a styrofoam egg carton for a day or so till they are absorbed. You can put a slightly damp piece of paper towel in the bottom of the depression. Put the egg carton in a tub or tank so you will be able to readily find the babies in case any of them manage to climb out of it.

In the event the yolk sacs are all absorbed when the babies come out, you should begin preparing a tub or tank for their new habitat. They will not need overly deep water yet. I would make it only an inch or two deep and put a good amount of aquarium plants (such as cabomba) in it so they can hide in it and feel safe Also provide a flat rock or a ramp so that they can easily climb up on it to get completely out of the water when they want to do so.

Link to cabomba plants:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B97DNVF6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

These are aquatic turtles and will need to swallow their food under water, which is why I said to make the depth 1 or 2 inches. As they grow, you can increase the depth of the water accordingly.
Thank you!! Just wanted to update. Two came out of their eggs last night. I put them into a bigger container with wet paper towels and a small water dish. (They still had some yolk to absorb, and their back legs couldn’t reach the ground.) I was planning on releasing them when they are strong enough (maybe not though. They are adorable). I still have three babies working their way out.
When should I start feeding them?
What do I feed them?
Do they need to be able to swim as soon as they come out of the egg?
How do I set up a tank that will suffice 5 baby turtles?
Do I need plants? Or could I make hide holes?

Attachments

• C94AD82A-A3D3-4BBE-A0F5-1F675ABA5ECD.png
    C94AD82A-A3D3-4BBE-A0F5-1F675ABA5ECD.png
    484.8 KB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you!! Just wanted to update. Two came out of their eggs last night. I put them into a bigger container with wet paper towels and a small water dish. (They still had some yolk to absorb, and their back legs couldn’t reach the ground.) I was planning on releasing them when they are strong enough (maybe not though. They are adorable). I still have three babies working their way out.
When should I start feeding them?
What do I feed them?
Do they need to be able to swim as soon as they come out of the egg?
How do I set up a tank that will suffice 5 baby turtles?
Do I need plants? Or could I make hide holes?
You can try feeding them after the yolk sacs are gone and they are able to be in water. Remember they need to be under water in order to swallow their food properly. They will feel much safer if you give them plants in the tank. I suggest Cabomba which you can get in a fish store or order from the link I posted yesterday. It is rather bushy and gives them a way to rest from swimming and a place to hide.

For food, I would try red wigglers or just plain old small earthworms. Small guppies would probably be another good idea. There are also a number of aquatic turtle prepared foods. I think Reptomin makes some which a number of people seem to use successfully.

I haven't kept aquatic turtles for 40 years or so now, so I am sure that there are other people on TFO who can offer better and more up-to-date feeding suggestions.

Good luck!

kennedye11

You can try feeding them after the yolk sacs are gone and they are able to be in water. Remember they need to be under water in order to swallow their food properly. They will feel much safer if you give them plants in the tank. I suggest Cabomba which you can get in a fish store or order from the link I posted yesterday. It is rather bushy and gives them a way to rest from swimming and a place to hide.

For food, I would try red wigglers or just plain old small earthworms. Small guppies would probably be another good idea. There are also a number of aquatic turtle prepared foods. I think Reptomin makes some which a number of people seem to use successfully.

I haven't kept aquatic turtles for 40 years or so now, so I am sure that there are other people on TFO who can offer better and more up-to-date feeding suggestions.

Good luck!
Okay! Thank you so much for the help!