I am new to tortoise and don't what is their type

sira

Location (City and/or State)
Egypt
Hi everybody, my name is Sira from Egypt. I am 48 years, a doctor. I my self and my kids lover tortoise.
I bought my tortoise from a pet shop, but the shop man doesn't know much about tortoise. He sells birds and that is his specialty. So I started to go over the internet to know as much as I can about tortoise and their care. I was delighted to find this form.
I am attaching a photo for them and the home I made by myself with my kids. actually I built a home with my kids just like one I found on the internet.
All what I know is that they are of the hermann type, I think. no further information I have. I believe also that they might be a male and female (only from their tail length). I hope anybody can tell me more about them from the pictures
thanks for all and I am really pleased being here with you in the forum.

Sira-Tortoise.jpg Sira-home.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Those are not hermanni. I have no experience with them, but those look an awful lot like Egyptian tortoises to my untrained eye. I could be wrong though...

@HermanniChris is the master of Testudo species ID. He will be able to tell us what they are.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Tom is 100% right. Those are Egyptian tortoises (Testudo kleinmanni), no question about it.

sira

Egypt
Thank you Tom for your reply. with the help of your response I realized that their type is "Testudo kleinmanni Lortet". by the way, they are not awful. may be it is the photo quality. Anyway, thx

sira

Egypt
Thanks HermanniChris. I want to read more about 'em can you tell me a source?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thank you Tom for your reply. with the help of your response I realized that their type is "Testudo kleinmanni Lortet". by the way, they are not awful. may be it is the photo quality. Anyway, thx

He wasn't saying they look awful, he was using an expression to mean they look "Very much like" Egyptian tortoises. They are very beautiful tortoises. What types of foods are you offering them?

sira

Egypt
Thank you LaDukePhoto for the explanation. I got it now. I feed them vegetables and sometimes fruits.
Two weeks ago, they were mating. should I prepare anything particular for breeding etc.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

They look great. Sorry. That phrase got lost in translation. I didn't mean they look awful at all.

sira

Egypt
Ok, Tom. I appreciate your explanation. I feel much relief now. Now I got the real meaning of your expression. may be my misunderstanding is because my native tongue is not English, but please feel free to use these expressions with me, I would like to learn also English in depth.
I do appreciate your response and help, and I am very pleased to be among the members of this wonderful amazing forum

sira

Egypt
Hi Yvonne G
thanks for the site, it is more than useful

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hi, welcome!

Can you take pictures of the plastron (the belly or underside) and of the tail? Then we can help you identify their genders. The behavior you saw could be breeding or it could be territory aggression. In most cases 2 tortoises living together won't do as well as they would if they lived alone.