I am horrible :(

I was gone for the weekend (visiting family in Canada), so I made all arrangements for my russian. I had timer set for his lights to go on&off and I asked my friend to stop by one time a day to replace his water bowl and give him some greens. Everything went good from what I heard from my friend when I was gone.

When I came back last night I found out that his lights never turned back on [DISAPPOINTED BUT RELIEVED FACE] and he had to stay in low 80s for three days.

I turned back his lights now this morning with an extra bulb in his enclosure to give him warm surrounding. Right now he is soaking in warm water and eating some greens mixed with mazuri.

I know I am horrible and I will make sure that I won't make this same mistake ever. But is there anything I should do in particular to make sure that he is alright?

Thank you
Nick

**not low 80s, low 70s

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I'm still a newb but I'm going to guess that those temps are fine for a few days. I mean, "in nature", weather conditions change and animals are exposed to less than ideal temperatures all the time.
I wouldn't stress too much. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Do you mean low 80's basking spot or ambient temps? Either way, low 80's for three days is nothing to worry about and he will be fine.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes I agree your Russian should be fine...80's alone for here days is all good and temps fluctuate in the wild too. You did good upon return too:) don't be hard on yourself:)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Nick,

You are anything BUT horrible. A mistake happened and that happens to be a good way to learn. I think your Russian will be fine.
We all learn by experience. 😊

lisa127 said:
Do you mean low 80's basking spot or ambient temps? Either way, low 80's for three days is nothing to worry about and he will be fine.

Not 80s, it stayed in low 70s for three days with no lamp. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even low 70 s for a Russian is nothing. Even without a basking light for a few days won't hurt. They are actually better at night in the high 60's. So, see, he wasn't really bad off at all. You shouldn't feel bad, things happen, but this wasn't even that bad at all for him.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your not a horrible keeper. Fact is you actually did something good for your tortoise. We humans like to play god and so we set a certain temperature as the one to have on constantly. In reality, our tortoises should have temperature variations like they would have out in the wild. Nature did not create the tortoise to be treated like hot house flowers. You allowed your tortoise a few days of blessedly cooler temps.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
lucky_tortoise said:
lisa127 said:

Not 80s, it stayed in low 70s for three days with no lamp. :(

Russians are about the toughest tortoise species there is, and are from the most unpleasant real estate on Earth, so he took it in stride and kept on trucking.

Read once that some Russian scientists put a dozen in a deep freeze for an extended period of time (some months, I think), and they all thawed out and went on with their little tortoise lives (other than a couple that were dissected to look for internal damage).

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Totally not helpful but just wanted to say that Russian tortoises even LOOK like the toughest tortoises in the world. Every time I see one, I always feel like they are the tough guys of the tortoise world.

Thank you guys for your prompt reply :) really appreciate it. I soaked him in water for 15 mins, he ate and now basking on upper floor. He looks happy and so am I .

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389639024.180382.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: