I am a proud owner of 3 and soon to be 4 African Sulcatas, so I am a newbie on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and decided to join because I want to make sure my sulcatas get the required care and attention they need, so I need some help

Ok so i bought 3 baby sulcatas, they are 12 weeks old now, but i have a question and I am kinda worried, my sulcatas seem healthy, they eat like normal they defecate daily, once or twice, and sometimes they defecate twice in one sitting haha, i dont overfeed them, I give them food in the afternoon and then at night, i feed them iceberg lettuce,.....just kidding, i feed them romaine lettuce and mazuri...and every other day i sprinkle some cuttlebone on their food, I built a little enclosure about 4 feet in lenght and 2 feet wide, and i put timothy hay and hibiscus mix as the substrate, and i made a hiding area for them, is there anything i should do also? oh and i soak them daily for about 10 mins, they walk out on their own, i dont want to force them into being wet, they drink water but not too much....but i wouldnt know how much is enough lol so i cant say much on that, I am pretty much a newbie on the tortoises, now i have one slight problem, 2 of my tortoises have 2 soft spots on their plastrons, I dont know why that is, right now they seemed to have hardened but just about an hour ago i the spot soft, not real soft but softer than the rest of the plastron which is hard, also the plastron is regular color but the soft spots are a darker shade...i am really worried, they seem really healthy too, but I dont want to think that and then it all goes wrong D: ,thanks for your time and all your answers, I will be here waiting for any replies :) thanks a lot guys for your patience in reading this lol, i just had to get this info out

if you guys can give me any tips also on what else to do, i will gladly accept the help :)

i will actually post some a photo of the bottom of the tortoise :)

well this is all of it, thanks for your time once more lol
f.y.i all this was posted exactly 30 mins from the plastron event

Attachments

• plastron.jpg
    plastron.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 77
    201 KB · Views: 106

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
RE: I am a proud owner of 3 and soon to be 4 African Sulcatas, so I am a newbie on t

Welcome. I myself am new to this forum and raising tortoises so I will let the experts answer your questions....just wanted to welcome you and say good luck with your new babies

dds7155

5 Year Member
Just wondering if you are prepared for the future, when you got 4 little 90 lb. tanks , dont want to sound rude , but if you not going to be a breeder why would you want four?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the dark soft spot should be where the egg yolk used to be and If I am not mistaken it is usually the last spot to harden.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi NinjaTortoises:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

(D'Marcus: What on earth is that a picture of in your signature?)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
RE: I am a proud owner of 3 and soon to be 4 African Sulcatas, so I am a newbie on t

Welcome

B

byerssusan

D'Marcus LOL I was wondering the same thing LOL.... NinjaTortoises Welcome..You have some cuties

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
dds7155 said:
Just wondering if you are prepared for the future, when you got 4 little 90 lb. tanks , dont want to sound rude , but if you not going to be a breeder why would you want four?

Yea im not going to be breeding lol, i just dont want them to be alone, and I have the space in my back yard to let them roam around, i also plan on building anything they need to be outdoors 24/7 except on rainy days or cold days, then they will be inside :D

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
byerssusan said:
D'Marcus LOL I was wondering the same thing LOL.... NinjaTortoises Welcome..You have some cuties

haha thanks :), it looks like the picture in marcus's signature is sulcata droppings lol not, no offense D:

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
dmmj said:
the dark soft spot should be where the egg yolk used to be and If I am not mistaken it is usually the last spot to harden.

I really hope that is it lol

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali

jesst said:
Welcome. I myself am new to this forum and raising tortoises so I will let the experts answer your questions....just wanted to welcome you and say good luck with your new babies

Thanks!, GL on raising yours as well :)

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
emysemys said:
Hi NinjaTortoises:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

(D'Marcus: What on earth is that a picture of in your signature?)

yes yes, my name is Aaron and I am in southern Cali :D

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey so cali here too, even with a big back yard having four roam around is alot, I currently have 2 that are 4-5yrs old and I couldnt imagine having another two, esp when they get to be 50 lbs each.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Hey, congrats on the new babies.. Go to the link Tom suggested, his care sheet in my opinion should be follwed directly, follow the temps, substrate, diet, etc.. Well, thats just what I suggest, I am raising my first Sully hatchling and he is happy and thriving, from what I've heard and read it can be common for hatchlings to fail and the fact that my Sully is so healthy I believe is greatly due to Toms care sheet so I can tell u first hand it works, the only little extra thing I do is I have to have an extra light for use at night, my temps drop too much if not so I use a critter care black light, other than that it is step by step the way Tom does it, Thanks again Tom, I was worried to find out how my Sully was kept before he got to me but he is doing wonderfully

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Welcome. Just a couple questions. Do you have a UVB light and how is your temps and humidity? As far as the food you are feeding, you need way more variety. When they get bigger you could have problems with ramming and bulling so you may have to split the enclosure up. I wish you lots of luck with your Sullies. I have 2 and although I would not trade them for anything, they take a lot of time and $$$$$$ to keep.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Missy said:
Welcome. Just a couple questions. Do you have a UVB light and how is your temps and humidity? As far as the food you are feeding, you need way more variety. When they get bigger you could have problems with ramming and bulling so you may have to split the enclosure up. I wish you lots of luck with your Sullies. I have 2 and although I would not trade them for anything, they take a lot of time and $$$$$$ to keep.

yea i know its gonna be a pretty expensive hobby but i am willing to do it :), i will keep what you say in mind, yea i have a uvb and heat light, can you list the variety so i can start buying stuff for them to eat, i know they need more and i went on a hunt to my local nursery with no luck D:, or maybe i didnt search hard enough, thanks though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.