I am new to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoUseForAName95

5 Year Member
My name is Allen and i am the proud owner of two Sulcata Tortoises. Grumpy (the larger) and Sylvia (the smaller) we are mostly just hoping thee genders at this point. I have had Grumpy since August 24 2012 and Sylvia since July 17 2013 and they are both doing fine. i feed them a mixture of romaine lettuce, timothy hay, and a grassland tortoise fiber supplement. i treat them occasionally to carrots and/or fruit, and take them out to graze in the park when i can. They currently have a separate bulb for heat and one for UVB, they have dark places to sleep, hot places to bask, and cool places to get away from the head. Lots of sand to dig in. I bathe them regularly and give them lots of attention, walking around with them or playing with them or just petting their shells and heads. I an just wondering if i am doing anything wrong or if there is anything i can improve on. My only real concerns are to prevent pyramiding, the eventual introduction of a baby bearded dragon that will be sharing an enclosure with them (my roommate's, we have looked up what we need to know to keep everyone happy), and the fact that Sylvia is hopelessly attached to Grumpy. she refused to sleep, or even stop moving while he is out of her sight (sleeping in his cave) so i have to drag him out and they fall asleep nose to nose. She follows him around every second of every day, they sleep together, eat together, walk together, everything. She won't calm down until she can physically touch him. Is this normal? Will this have adverse affects?

Attachments

• Grumpy and Sylvia- July 31 2013.jpg
    Grumpy and Sylvia- July 31 2013.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 150

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome, Allen, Grumpy, and Sylvia! Cute torts! [TURTLE][TURTLE]

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would replace the sand with dirt or least mix dirt into the sand and increase the moisture level. Add some plants if that suits you.

With the bearded dragon, I would be concerned the tortoises may nip it over time, taking off the tip of the tail and toes. If you are set on keeping them together, provide elevated outcroppings and plenty of vertical space to basically give the dragon some way to avoid the tortoises when it wants to and several places in which to do so. I do not keep dragons and am not sure if they would utilize this, but allowing these "tiers" in the cage with easy access for the dragon might allow for less direct confrontation. The tortoises would be doing this out of curiosity (taste...all the things!) at that age. At a larger size, the risks amplify due to behavioral changes and a greater ability for a bite to inflict damage.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
hello Allen and welcome to TFO! check out the threads below my signature for tons of helpful advice from Tom who is very sullie savvy! good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The time to address the pyramid problem is during the tortoise's first year. After than, the growth pattern is pretty well set.

Take Baoh's advice on the substrate. I prefer cypress mulch or orchid bark because I can moisten it. The lights quickly dry out the top layer but it stays a bit moist underneath.

If sand gets stuck on the food as the tortoise is eating, it may cause your tortoise to become impacted. Keeping the animals well-hydrated minimizes this risk.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: RE: I am new to this.

Yvonne G said:
The time to address the pyramid problem is during the tortoise's first year. After than, the growth pattern is pretty well set.

Couldn't agree more. Mine looks to be pyramided more now because he's bigger. Yet his pyramiding is the same in comparison to his size as it ever was. Meaning its not got any worse, no better, and has stayed the same in comparison. It just looks worse.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to TFO! I love sulcatas! Even though I don't own one. -_-*

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Is the new one already with the one you had previously?

I'd be afraid of bullying since the one is so much smaller. Plus the other one hasn't been quarantined yet :/

NoUseForAName95

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the welcomes! So, how much dirt should i mix in, like sand to dirt ratio? And how should i go about keeping it the right humidity? And yes, they are together. there isn't much picking, really. Grumpy follows her around sometimes, i think just kinda interested, seeing as how he was alone for a year almost. The main problems i have is i have to feed them on separate sides of the tank for now. Sylvia seems intimidated by grumpy and won't eat out of the same pile. But other than that, they almost cuddle. the fall asleep with their heads touching almost every time. they dig a hole and bask in it together, they don't ever bite the other, they get along great.

knighterson

5 Year Member
Welcome! We have a beardie and a sulcata too. My sulcata is 15 months now, and lives outside 24/7, he basically has the whole back yard. Our beardie gets about 3 hours of outside time 2-3 days a week, but the area is large enough that they don't seem to ever see each other. I will say this- the tortoise will definitely eat the lizards poop, which I'm sure isn't that great for them. Our beardie goes within the first 15 minutes or so of being outside and now I clean it up, but he did get to it first once.

Also- love the user name, my favorite band for 20 years

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Mo went after his own poo. Gross! I clean up after him religiously. Nasty little guys they are. LOL

Sandy in Oregon

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I have absolutely no data to support this, but I suspect coprophagia to be a strategy to inoculate the intestinal flora.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
A few things... WELCOME!!! the diet needs improving... Less Romaine, more grass and weeds.. Dark greens.. Like Spring Mix, is better than Romaine.. Change the sand out for soil,, something that holds some moisture... and be Very carefull taking them to the park. Most spray weed killer etc.. If you don't have a yard.... which you will need for sulcatas.. especially Two... then you need to ensure where they graze is safe... Sunshine is Very important...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
zenoandthetortoise said:
I have absolutely no data to support this, but I suspect coprophagia to be a strategy to inoculate the intestinal flora.

That and nutrient recycling, yes. Exactly.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. I don't want to sound condescending in any way, and if I sound like that, please know that is not my intention. Did you really consider how you plan to house your sullies? They will get really big, fast, and in 5 years, these torts will be too heavy to lug around back and forth to a park. So many people get sulcatas as babies because they are so cute, but then resort to getting rid of them because of their size, their insatiable appetite, expenses, and all the resources that are required to keep the tort the healthy and happy over a period of decades. Do you plan to buy a house with a large backyard? If not, these little guys are not for you. Also, no matter how friendly they appear to be with each other, two sullies living together will not work! Either one will bully the other, or one will be so stressed because in ways that we cannot observe, usually the smaller of the torts will feel intimidated to the point where she will not eat or thrive. Please don't do this to her. I had two sullies that got along great. In fact, they are siblings, and all was fine for the first 8 months. Then I noticed that what i thought were different personalities turned out to be intimidation and stress by the smaller of the two. I found out later that both are males, and that's a no-no. Even if the smaller one were a female, the stress would still be there. Later, if not separated, one could hurt or even kill the other. Don't take the risk...separate them NOW. Believe me, Sylvia is not in need of the other tort. Provide Sylvia with her own space, her own hide, her own warmth, and her own food, and you'll see she will thrive beautifully. Having said that, I first recommend you read Tom's threads on sully care. As far as the soil is concerned, I would mix 50/50 of organic soil and coco coir which you can find at any pet store. Best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.