Concerned about New Hatchling

animalgod123

Hi, I recently got a Russian tortoise today and I'm a little concerned for it. First off the shell is rough and not smooth. Secondly the shell looks like dry white cracked skin on the shell, which I think may be due to a lack of calcium(picture of tortoise is attached). Thirdly it doesn't seem active and it doesn't open its eyes much. This is something I believe is from the breeder or maybe due to stress of a new environment. Please tell me what you think. Thank you.

tortuga.png

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
question what are your temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking and overall?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Baby Russians are a bit dimmply when first hatched, and your new baby is brand new. But the not opening his eyes statement is worrisome. A tortoise should wake up right away when you pick it up. Do you soak this baby daily? And what kind of light (and how far from the substrate is it) are you using?

animalgod123

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Baby Russians are a bit dimmply when first hatched, and your new baby is brand new. But the not opening his eyes statement is worrisome. A tortoise should wake up right away when you pick it up. Do you soak this baby daily? And what kind of light (and how far from the substrate is it) are you using?
Yes I soak her daily. So far she hasn't eaten but I also have a 5 year old Russian tortoise (living in a different enclosure) that didn't eat for the first 4 days when I got her but now eats well. But since this one is younger I am more worried for it. I have a heat lamp and a UVB light for the enclosure and is about 32cm away from the substrate.

animalgod123

question what are your temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking and overall?
The temperature is around 74 on the cool side. it has a basking spot. but overall I don't think its the temperature problem since it arrived liked this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I asked what kind of light, but of course you can't read my mind. I'll ask a different way - are you using one of those curly shaped UVB lights?