Hurricane Coming--Any tricks to luring my tortoises out of their burrows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I have 2 sulcatas that live outside and have dug deep burrows. The heavy rain and winds are supposed to come tomorrow and I think they know it, because they are not coming out of their burrows like they normally do on a nice, sunny day. I do not want them to be down there in case the burrows get flooded or collapse with the torrential downpour. I keep reaching my hand inside and waving some lettuce around, lol, but I'm not sure they even see me. One of the burrows must be about 10 feet long. I wish they had real ears so they could just learn to come when called. ;) Any advice would be appreciated... I'm going out again now to see if they've decided to come up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would use a more enticing food, like something red. Strawberry or water melon. Good luck, I hope you get them out and be safe:)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
They do have real ears, and can hear OK. Is there some food that they really like with a strong smell? Strawberries etc.. Maybe that would lure them out. Maybe a small fan could send the enticing smell to them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Run a garden hose down there. Seriously. Just get out of the way, because they are gonna come flying out of there.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Tom said:
Run a garden hose down there. Seriously. Just get out of the way, because they are gonna come flying out of there.

I have visions of this rofl! Sorry ....on a serious note I hope you get them out bless them x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah the first time I did it, I nearly lost my ankles.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
okay, great idea... i think. i'm going to go try it now.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Tom said:

I can imagine! Poor things but I guess when your trying to save them for their own good then you've got to do it! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Actually, I was trying to save a very expensive block wall from THEM!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I went over there, all ready to get video of the "procedure" and they were both out, eating their lettuce. I put a bright basking light over the entrance of their burrows, so maybe I was able to fool them into thinking it was nice out. Or maybe they fooled me, making me worry about it when they were just taking their time getting up in the morning. Either way, all is well. They'll have to hang out in the boring garage for a couple of days, but that's better than sitting around in a tropical storm... Here's a photo of Shelly in his Tortoise Transport Cart. And, yes, his shell is lumpy. I got him 2 years ago as a rescue from CL. He weighs about 40 lbs. My other one, Tubby, is about 80 lbs.

"Gotcha!"

Attachments

• Shelly.JPG
    Shelly.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 87

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There aren't too many of us that have smooth adults. Back when our adults were hatchlings, I think most of us were still doing what the books and the experts said to do.

Don't feel bad, your big boy doesn't look bad at all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:

LMAO, would have been a hoot to see.

shellysmom said:
I went over there, all ready to get video of the "procedure" and they were both out, eating their lettuce. I put a bright basking light over the entrance of their burrows, so maybe I was able to fool them into thinking it was nice out. Or maybe they fooled me, making me worry about it when they were just taking their time getting up in the morning. Either way, all is well. They'll have to hang out in the boring garage for a couple of days, but that's better than sitting around in a tropical storm... Here's a photo of Shelly in his Tortoise Transport Cart. And, yes, his shell is lumpy. I got him 2 years ago as a rescue from CL. He weighs about 40 lbs. My other one, Tubby, is about 80 lbs.

"Gotcha!"

Darn, was looking forward to a good laugh. Had popcorn ready. Seriously, glad they came out, you didn't have to worry about loosing ankles lol and hopefully it was all for nothing.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Tom said:
Actually, I was trying to save a very expensive block wall from THEM!

Did you save the wall then?! ;)

shellysmom said:

"Gotcha!"

Well done! It would of made an excellent you tube footage! Oh well, just glad to read they are in a safer place and hope it isn't a big one!

Status
Not open for further replies.