Humpy tortoise

Jan A

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
Having 'the hump' means he's grumpy about something. Reference to camels who have humps and are notoriously grumpy. We use that expression all the time in the UK, didn't realise it was a British thing!
Americans use "hump" usually in the sexual way, although we do refer to Wednesday as Hump Day, meaning getting closer to the weekend. It only got associated with camels when advertisers started using camels in their ads.

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
Americans use "hump" usually in the sexual way, although we do refer to Wednesday as Hump Day, meaning getting closer to the weekend. It only got associated with camels when advertisers started using camels in their ads.
How funny ?

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
Sulcata are bulldozers straight outa the egg. Don't waste your time and effort to "make it nice for him". Sulcata don't know from nice
Ok I think I just let him do what he wants and put some slate in there for climbing thanks
Sulcata are bulldozers straight outa the egg. Don't waste your time and effort to "make it nice for him". Sulcata don't know from nice

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
Sorry but you can’t tell someone how to write this is not your site and not everyone is as Clever as you some people might have difficulty in Writing

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
As an american I got very confused and thought maybe you were referring to the hump of the shell? (Thank you for the clarification EmmaWilly) My tips are just to try not to disturb him as much as possible and also don't change the environment too much. My sully Kiwi would also get very stressed when I cleaned or moved stuff around so I tried not to change too many things at once and also comforted her by giving her a mazuri (and maybe a fruit treat depending on the week). Just be quick and don't do any unnecessary things!

I just have to say, your tort is very cute and the idea of a grumpy tortoise makes me laugh. Poor tort! Oh well, I guess I just don't understand tortoise psychology! ? :tort:

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
As an american I got very confused and thought maybe you were referring to the hump of the shell? (Thank you for the clarification EmmaWilly) My tips are just to try not to disturb him as much as possible and also don't change the environment too much. My sully Kiwi would also get very stressed when I cleaned or moved stuff around so I tried not to change too many things at once and also comforted her by giving her a mazuri (and maybe a fruit treat depending on the week). Just be quick and don't do any unnecessary things!

I just have to say, your tort is very cute and the idea of a grumpy tortoise makes me laugh. Poor tort! Oh well, I guess I just don't understand tortoise psychology! ? :tort:
Thank u ☺️

Emmawilly

Plymouth
Ok thanks what bedding is good for him
Orchid bark is good.
In your previous post you mentioned that you didn't think this was the right substrate for a sulcata but it is the one recommended by most of the forum users on here and I've switched to it and it's much easier to spot clean and retain moisture.

CarolineD

Flagstaff, AZ
No. Molds easily and can cause a fire if dries out and gets too hot. It should be a food source for torts that eats it not bedding.
I now only give hay during feeding time. I give about 1/2 hay 1/2 romaine maybe some dried daisies. Thanks for the suggestion