Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
Hi!

I was wondering at what percent the humidity should be for a russian tortoise? Do I measure the humidity in the air or the substrate?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There is much ongoing debate about humidity needs for Russian tortoises. They're care requirements are generally lumped into the same catergory as Mediterranean Testudo species like the Hermann's, Marginateds and Greek subspecies. But Russians are not a Mediterranean but a temperate climate desert species. They're environmental needs are actually more similar to the North American Desert tortoise than their own more closely related Testudo species. They are accustomed to very hot, dry weather with very low humidity in nature. They escape these conditions by digging often long burrows which are cooler and more humid than the conditions on top of the ground. The general rule of thumb in captivity for Russian tortoises should be "dry and hot on top, humid and cool underground". Although few people do so, again because they keep them much like other Testudo species. Comfortable ambient air humidity in captivity should be in the 40-50% range, slightly higher is fine as long as there is adequate air flow and warmth. Substrates can be sprayed daily (early morning being the best time to simulate morning dew) but should not be kept wet or moist at ground level, but they should have slightly humid conditions available to them in above ground shelters or have the ability to burrow into a substrate that is slightly moist. Generally speaking, Russian tortoises are not always big water drinkers, but water should still be available at all times to accomodate their need to drink when they want to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The recommendation I've seen from people who raise lots of them is 40-60%. This assumes a damp substrate that they can burrow into, and I suggest a humid hide for smaller ones too. You measure humidity in the air at tortoise level.

We were typing at the same time. GB is one of the people I was referring to. :D

Glad he answered for you.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the answers!

I've been reading the forum all day and I noticed that the only thermometers getting recommended are very specific. Is this Exo Terra thermometer good?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Humidity

RussTort said:
Thanks for the answers!

I've been reading the forum all day and I noticed that the only thermometers getting recommended are very specific. Is this Exo Terra thermometer good?

No it isn't any good for tortoise enclosures.

What you really need is a temperature gun - it is the most accurate form of measurement. Shop around on Amazon.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
JoesMum said:
RussTort said:
Thanks for the answers!

No it isn't any good for tortoise enclosures.

What you really need is a temperature gun - it is the most accurate form of measurement. Shop around on Amazon.

Right. A pet shop employee recommended it but she also recommended me to get a tiny aquarium, a heat bulb that should hang 15cm from the substrate and a heat mat so I stayed away from that.

I'll get a gun. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any hardware store, Target or Walmart will have digital thermometers. Some have a wired probe for about $10 and some have a wire less one. I like the digital wireless ones that show highs and lows, current temps, and humidity. These are about $20 and you can move the probe all over the enclosure to check your parameters.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
If you're talking about the gun then the answer is yes. You just start by pointing it at one place and then the next.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
Sorry, I don't have any experience with them but I am sure that either JoesMum or Tom will answer you.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
What about the Exo Terra hygrometer that is exactly like the thermometer I posted above? Sorry for the specific questions, I can't afford to buy equipment that isn't good enough.

Do I keep the bottom substrate slightly moist if I spray the substrate every morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.