Deanlfcladd

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi I know humidity for a baby russian is important and so have been keeping my vivarium nice and humid but I'm having issues controlling it of course with heat and water you get condensation the condensation gathers on the glass and runs down making the wood/chipboard Swell and eventually rot does anyone know any solutions to help prevent this or combat it? Buying a new viv everytime this happens could get very expensive 😬

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Line the inside of the enclosure with plastic. Many use a shower curtain liner.
Others lay linoleum tiles or sheets down on the floor portion under the substrate

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
What kind of glass doors are in viv?

If condensate overflows sliding doors runners, you need to seal the seam between the runner and vivarium bottom liner (with a duct tape, make it overlap inside the runner a bit or a sealant).

With hinged glass doors you can stick a piece of plastic profile on the inner side to drain condensate into a container or to substrate. Like on the back wall of the fridge.

Other options: move heating sources closer to the doors to reduce condensation or make a "false double glazing" out of a plexiglass sheets (hinged or on magnets).

Deanlfcladd

Uk
Thanks for suggestions I had some spare dc fix lying around so decided to give it a try looks abit unsightly but I'm sure they do a brown wood grain style so will keep an eye out for that this will hopefully do for now. I also moved the glass to the inside rail so it doesn't pool up on the outer rail this is the cool side and gets the worst of the condensation

Attachments

• IMG_20240422_194658.jpg
    IMG_20240422_194658.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 1