Humidity

AshleeandHenry

Location (City and/or State)
FAYETTE
Hello! I've had my sulcata tortoise for a month now. The first few weeks were a bit of a struggle trying to get everything into place, but I feel that everything is on track now. However, the humidity jumps a lot higher than the temps at night and I've heard that if the humidity is higher than temperature it can cause RI. Should I try setting the enclosure outside for a while to dry out? The substrate is coconut fibre and it holds moisture very well but I always try to keep the humidity on the hot side in the 70s-80s and this is probably why it gets so high at night.
Thanks for any info or tips!

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
This is a great care sheet this can give you some ideas, Welcome to the forum!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

Just wondering what your set up is, how you are maintaining heat, humidity levels. If you can upload a few pix of your enclosure we can all help a bit more. You want to maintain 24/7 @ 80F. Best way is with a CHE or Radiant Heat Panel connected to a thermostat. You need a fully enclosed enclosure, good moist substrate, proper lighting.

Upload some pix.

AshleeandHenry

FAYETTE
Greetings.

Just wondering what your set up is, how you are maintaining heat, humidity levels. If you can upload a few pix of your enclosure we can all help a bit more. You want to maintain 24/7 @ 80F. Best way is with a CHE or Radiant Heat Panel connected to a thermostat. You need a fully enclosed enclosure, good moist substrate, proper lighting.

Upload some pix.
I'll have to upload pictures later if I remember.
I bought a miniature greenhouse cover to go over the tub he's in. It does pretty well in the day time with maintaining heat and humidity but at night the temps are down in 70s within an hour or so. Based on your and other's comments, I will be investing in a CHE very soon.

AshleeandHenry

FAYETTE
Thabk
This is a great care sheet this can give you some ideas, Welcome to the forum!
Thank you! And yes, that's a wonderful forum and I will be keeping up with it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'll have to upload pictures later if I remember.
I bought a miniature greenhouse cover to go over the tub he's in. It does pretty well in the day time with maintaining heat and humidity but at night the temps are down in 70s within an hour or so. Based on your and other's comments, I will be investing in a CHE very soon.

You definitely need to provide a heat source that maintains the overall ambient heat to a minimum of 80F. Both CHEs and RHPs connected to a thermostat will work. What you purchase & how you mount will depend on your enclosure.

RHPs - https://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels
CHE - https://www.reptilebasics.com/150watt-heat-emitter
Thermostat - http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13882-zilla-500-watt-temperature-controller