Humidity; ReptiRain or ReptiFogger

TandM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I know there's a bunch of posts about humidity on here but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience using either the ZooMed ReptiRain misting system or the ZooMed ReptiFogger.

I have a T. graeca ibera and he's about 5 and a half years old now and I'm having some trouble retaining moisture in his enclosure. The humidity gauge usually reads around 65% but with our combination of forest floor bedding and soil we are finding that it still dries out really quickly and since Bowser is quite active he kicks up the dry dirt & it is spreading all over our house! SO we are looking at getting a more consistent misting system rather than us spraying it down every couple of days, if anyone's used either one of the above mentioned products we would greatly appreciate your advice and feedback!

Thank you!

Marisol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Marisol.
since you asked...I wouldn't use any of those products.
I'd instead seal off most of my enclosure to hold the humidity in.
Just what I do...

TandM

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Marisol.
since you asked...I wouldn't use any of those products.
I'd instead seal off most of my enclosure to hold the humidity in.
Just what I do...

That would probably work but his enclosure is kind of wide open & we are looking for a solution so we don't have to change too much. Thanks though!1014410_10153790741240032_519337160_n.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Plexiglass comes uncut in sheets that are 4' by 8'. It's easy to cut and shape, but for something that big, you'd need to make a framework for it so that it wouldn't be wobbly. You'd also need to make round holes beneath your lights. UVB can't pass through glass or plastic.
Really, covering it or at least most of it is the way to go. It'll also keep him from kicking dirt out onto your floor as you mentioned.
It does LOOK very nice, though!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
good job you've done there! how do you find the 'wallpaper' in there? im about to build a new table and have the same idea. ( pinching a screen shot of youryfor reference;) )

I agree, a plexi hat will work wonders and as mentioned frame it up. i ran into the problem of sagging and had to fix with a tention rod.

if your set on a fogger i did a little research and found people recomend just 'doctoring' a domestic humidifier with tubbing directed into enclosure but would only really be affective in closed chamber

TandM

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
good job you've done there! how do you find the 'wallpaper' in there? im about to build a new table and have the same idea. ( pinching a screen shot of youryfor reference;) )

I agree, a plexi hat will work wonders and as mentioned frame it up. i ran into the problem of sagging and had to fix with a tention rod.

if your set on a fogger i did a little research and found people recomend just 'doctoring' a domestic humidifier with tubbing directed into enclosure but would only really be affective in closed chamber

Thanks! We just bought some aquarium background paper that people would use in fish tanks and we glued it onto the wood.

JAYGEE

What about building a frame out of dowel rods and placing a clear shower curtain over it?

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
on note of the backdrop, have you found it safe enough? i.e, tort hasn't scratched or ate any? i had the thought of attaching an acrylic front over them to preserve it but am unsure of implications or the occupant lol

TandM

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Thank you for the link! I'm actually quite impressed how well the backdrop has held up, he does claw and scratch at it but it's still perfectly intact and has been up for about a year and a half now. It did start to peel in one corner but we just re-glued it and it's been fine.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Thank you for the link! I'm actually quite impressed how well the backdrop has held up, he does claw and scratch at it but it's still perfectly intact and has been up for about a year and a half now. It did start to peel in one corner but we just re-glued it and it's been fine.

ideal, thank you! our table is the main feature in our living room so turning my hand at 'up cycling' our current dining table and your build pic is a great resource!

i cant draw to save my self and a pic is worth a thousand words! im planning exactly the same idea but doors on the front at bottom just for aesthetics.

if your looking for a quick fix on sealing table, kitchen foil or a damp towel over the top i have read works a treat but be mindfull of lights/power sources.

TandM

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
ideal, thank you! our table is the main feature in our living room so turning my hand at 'up cycling' our current dining table and your build pic is a great resource!

i cant draw to save my self and a pic is worth a thousand words! im planning exactly the same idea but doors on the front at bottom just for aesthetics.

if your looking for a quick fix on sealing table, kitchen foil or a damp towel over the top i have read works a treat but be mindfull of lights/power sources.

Yeah our enclosure is also the focal point of our living room as well so trying to find something that wont stand out too much. Putting on doors is a great idea, having the little shelf underneath is convenient to store his accessories and what not but doesn't look too nice having all that clutter underneath.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436453964.710765.jpg

a snap of my project. planing adding a shlef underneath at each side and central void for the footstool, 3 sets of double doors to hide it all.

I really would advise on the plexi top, I noticed a HUGE difference adding one and the only eyesore is a tention rod spanning table as i failed to do my homework! :(