Reptifogger/waterfall for humidity

addouk

5 Year Member
Hiya all,
Was just wanting to get some comments or feedback as to if any of you use a reptifogger and or with a exo terra or zoo med waterfall?
Am a little concerned about the humidity in my torts viv!
I spray it twice a day (and have the fungus gnats to show it grr)...but when I come to spray it again the humidity is down to about 65-70!
I am concerned that I don't want him or her to pyramid.
I use coco block, and orchid bark in there..and he/she gets bathed at least once a week in my bath for about 30 mins.
Here is a pic of the set up...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453991019.524703.jpg

Many thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The fogger you are talking about don't seem to last long. Your better off buying a mistking, more expensive but lasts.
Is the enclosure covered? Doing that should hold humidity in. If this is for a red foot, be sure to keep top layer dry, as they are prone to shell rot. Also the water dish you are using is dangerous, a low sided clay saucer is much better and safer. The enclosure looks good other then the water dish

addouk

5 Year Member
Thank you I will look into the most King. How come the water pool is dangerous? I bury it into the substrate a little more than this pic so when my red foot climbs about he can't tip over...he has had it in his viv for about 4 months so far. Yeah it's an enclosed vivarium, I really don't know why the humidity keeps dropping.
I will take a pic of his shell now..am just worried he is showing early signs of pyramiding. Will take and post here

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you are just spraying, it may not be enough. You can pour warm water into the corners. It will seep into the bottom substrate. Just don't pour so much that it soaks to the top.
The water dish is dangerous cuz torts have been known to flip trying to get out and drown. Also it makes it harder for them to get to the water. The saucers are low sided, not too deep and easier for them to use.

addouk

5 Year Member
Thanks Wellington I am going to pour warm water in now..I have only avoided this as the viv is already starting to warp, as you can see here...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453992138.929630.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice looking RF. It's hard to really tell, but there could be a slight start of pyramiding, but the humidity dropping to 60-70 for a short time I don't think would cause pyramiding. I would up the soaks to every other day if s/he is under two years.

addouk

5 Year Member
Thanks Wellington am going to do just that! He or she is only about 18 months old

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you line it with any type of plastic? When you are in the mood, I would take everything out and line it with plastic. Unless your tort is growing enough that it will need a larger enclosure soon, then I wouldn't bother.

addouk

5 Year Member
No I didn't line it, thank you so much for such great advice!!!
I just did a full clean, but when it's time to clean next I will line with plastic for def!

addouk

5 Year Member
Can I ask, if this is early pyramiding...can I correct it at this early stage by every other day soaking?
As far as I know his diet is fine...fruit for treats every now and then, some raw chicken once a fortnight, mixed leafs and some mixed Spring greens for feeding each day, with some red pepper for treats too

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there, I keep RF babies in 40 gal tank with closed top. Use Reptifogger and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453991954.698910.jpg this is how I attached the hose to the top. I'd love the waterfall but trying to limit the "furniture" in there in favor of more "floor space. I only run fogger twice a day at feeding time for 10 minutes and humidity is always at least 80%. Substrate is bioactive (coco coir/soil mix, orchid bark on the bottom, top covered with moss, earthworms, pillbugs and soil centipedes and probably tons of all kinds of microorganisms (hopefully including beneficial bacteria) inhabit the substrate, i see no flying insects, no mold/fungus, no other then the above mentioned critters. So far I've had this substrate since June'15 and other then replacing few clumps of moss it's all the original stuff. There's no bad odor to it. I'll be looking into building waterfall in the outdoor enclosure. Would love for the babies to have one

addouk

5 Year Member
Thanks for that pearly! Wow you haven't had to do a clean since June??
I have done 3 since then!! I get overrun with gnats .
Am really worried about pyramiding for my little baby

addouk

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453993220.792004.jpg
His shell seems to have a small raised area now toward the back right and left not sure if it shows on the pics

addouk

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453993294.555477.jpg
This might show a little better...it's very minimal but I am a big worrier and like to have my pets in the best shape I can

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think you have to worry about pyramiding. The very little bit that you feel will correct itself most likely as you are doing everything right. Glad he likes his new dish.
Oh, if you bake your coir and wood chips at 2-250 for about 3 hours it will kill eggs that are in it and help keep knats away.