Reptifogger/waterfall for humidity

addouk

5 Year Member
Aw fab thank Wellington I will def do that when I strip and clean the viv next time. Am going to invest in some fablon sticky backed plastic roll to line the viv too!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Nope ! Just poop scooping every couple days and turning the substrate every 4-6 wks with refreshing moss.
Your baby is a cutie! I'm not sure about pyramiding, will leave that one to the experts. I'll show you mine for comparison ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454008793.248245.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454008838.096955.jpg hope this helps. As for the Mist Iing I recall looking at that too but for some reason decided Reptifogger was better suited for my needs. Can't tell now what that was. Maybe price?....

addouk

5 Year Member
Wow Pearly your babies are gorgeous!!
My little one def has very early signs of pyramiding after looking at yours..after some advice I am going to be doing soaks every other day, and my fogger arrives tomorrow/Saturday so will be putting that on every day at feeding time

Pearly

5 Year Member
My little one def has very early signs of pyramiding after looking at yours..after some advice I am going to be doing soaks every other day, and my fogger arrives tomorrow/Saturday so will be putting that on every day at feeding time
Hey, Fogging at feeding time works for me because I always try to stick around and watch the eat. This observation time has proven to be a very valuable tool in learning about their likes and dislikes, as well as developing some positive habits and little routines. You will find your own ways of doing things the way that works best for you and your tort.
You are few steps ahead of many new keepers out there. You already have a great enclosure and know about pyramiding I knew nothing about it, but being a persistent PIA that I am, day by day, I kept at it until I was half way satisfied with my babies' environment (enclosure, substrate, heat, humidity, plants etc), feeding, exercise and bathing routines and overall handling.
Wishing you bestest of luck with your endeavors. Looking forward to following your progress

Pearly

5 Year Member
Yes Ewa. That marbled cherry head is a real gem!
Well, thank you, Ed I love him. He was my "problem child" the first couple of months. He would not eat, not do anything! Just sleep buried in moss, but I kept after him and still do even if that means I physically have to get him out of his hide for breakfast, I do it, otherwise his tankmate would bulldoze the food and flatten it all the way down to the rock making it look unappetizing and probably tasting ... not the best...he's eating great now but I still keep close eye on him. That a mother in me. Just can't help myself

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

I've always used Repmed foggers for my torts. I think you'll really like it. Btw, there are humidity detector with an automatic on/off switch. So, when you reach the desired humidity, it will automatically shut off. When humidity drops, it turns on again. That would help you immensely.

addouk

5 Year Member
Hi all I finally sorted a humidifier! I went with this....
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454176163.997186.jpg
I wondered though it's a cool mist fogger..
Now this may sound stupid...
But do I put the hose in the hot end next to the heat lamp so the most heats up? Or at the humid end where the moss is?
I put it currently at the moss end at the other end away from the heat..
This is how it's looking..
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454176260.791881.jpg
Thanks for any advice

addouk

5 Year Member
..and after 5 minutes with the fogger on half way mark...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454176600.498227.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That really looks good. Make sure you check the enclosure 's humidity. It could really reach 100%, a d that would be too much. If only you could get one of those timers that shuts off the humidifier when it reaches 80%, life would be much more easier.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thanks @sibi.
Does it matter which end the cool fogger is placed at?
I've had mine on both sides. With this size of enclosure it really makes little difference. Currently my fogger output hose is un the darker side where they eat. After they eat they often go righ under the hose and just stick their heads out looking like they are enjoying inhalating of all that fog

Carbonaria

I am going to experiment with altering a Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier. These are available from Argos in the U.K, they differ from the regular ultrasonic humidifiers in that they use a laser to flash boil a small amount of water rather than sonically agitating the water to form a cool mist.
I want heat and humidity as they seem to go together well and all of the purpose made reptile ones like the Repti-Fogger and the Exo Terra one that costs about £100 all use ultrasonics and apparently do not last.

Rather than experiment on a £40 humidifier I have purchased a used one from EBay. I'll take photo's of the conversion process as I will need to fit a flexible hose to go into the top of my closed chamber. Humidity isn't great at the moment as I am using a 250W Infra-red bulb due to the massive cold spell we are having here at the moment and the MVB and Ceramic Bulb just cannot keep the enclosure to a comfortable temperature.

Edit: Here is a link to the humidifier, it's a little awkward in its shape. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2329332.htm

addouk

5 Year Member
Hey Carbonaria,
Thanks for posting!! Will be def interested to see how you get on with the warm humidifier and the conversion process. It certainly is freezing, up here in Newcastle it's vile!
Little Ru seems really happy with the fogger I hooked up..after having some food today he/she went and put its head under the funnel of fog!
Only had the fogger on for 15 mins and humidity was up to 87% so am going to just try doing a couple of blasts a day and see how we go (fingers crossed).
Am trying every other day soaks too for ru's shell to see if we can stop this pyramiding

ashantwine2212

Question for pearly. This reptifogger you have, is it better for me to enclose the top of the tank with duct
Tape or
Foil? It's just an open vent at the moment.
Thanks

Pearly

5 Year Member
Question for pearly. This reptifogger you have, is it better for me to enclose the top of the tank with duct
Tape or
Foil? It's just an open vent at the moment.
Thanks
If you cover the top it'll be a lot easier for you to control the environment inside of the enclosure (temp/humidity). ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454480156.128446.jpg I used this insulation stuff to cover my tankImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454480209.784045.jpgand this foil type of tape to secure thingsImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454480337.617842.jpg it was fairly easy to secure the fogger hose in place. I bought those insulation REFLECTIX things at Home Depot (hardware store) but they are also available on line, think Amazon has them. I hope this helps

addouk

5 Year Member
Just wanted to post an update of my very happy little tort who loves it's fogger!
Thanks for all the advice and information, hopefully the slight bit of pyramiding I think I can see will sort itself out
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454794357.098887.jpg