Humidity ranges summary

T0rts

Location (City and/or State)
united kingdom
I've spent hours & hours trawling through lots of (v interesting, informative & lively) posts on this forum to try to find a summary of recommended humidity for the age ranges (or sizes) for Leopards, Testudo & Radiated.... but I can't find a nice concise summary, please can anyone tell me if my understanding is correct?
0-1yr 1-2yr 2-8yr 8-10yr 10+yr
Hatchling Yearling Juvenile Sub-adult Adult
Testudo 50-70%* 40-60% 40-60% 40-60% 40-60%
Leopards 60-80%* 50-70% 50-70% 40-60% 40-60%
Radiated 60-80%* 50-70% 50-70% 40-60% 40-60%

*=entire enclosure
NB: Those without * (ie Yearling to Adult) are OK to just provide a humid hide/area with the humidity mentioned?

Thank-you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think there is a concise summary because not everyone agrees. It also gets difficult for people in warm dry climates when its time to move larger tortoises outdoors.

I think everyone is going to have a different opinion on this. I think your numbers are fine for Testudo in general, but too low for leopards. I don't have enough experience raising baby radiata to comment one way or the other.

T0rts

united kingdom
I don't think there is a concise summary because not everyone agrees. It also gets difficult for people in warm dry climates when its time to move larger tortoises outdoors.

I think everyone is going to have a different opinion on this. I think your numbers are fine for Testudo in general, but too low for leopards. I don't have enough experience raising baby radiata to comment one way or the other.
Tom - thanks for your reply (I was hoping you may spot this post!)

I appreciate this is a heavily debated topic & not everyone agrees.. but I was hoping to get a summary of humidity ranges for the species in my care that majority of experts on this forum would agree with!

When you say "too low for leopards", is this for all age ranges or just the hatchlings?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you say "too low for leopards", is this for all age ranges or just the hatchlings?

Here is my take on the matter: Leopards are one of the species most prone to pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. I find that keeping them at 80% humidity or higher for as long as you can while they are growing reduces any pyramiding.

T0rts

united kingdom
Here is my take on the matter: Leopards are one of the species most prone to pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. I find that keeping them at 80% humidity or higher for as long as you can while they are growing reduces any pyramiding.
Thanks for the info Tom, much appreciated. Once leopards are adults, what humidity do your keep your night box at? Or is it no longer that important?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the info Tom, much appreciated. Once leopards are adults, what humidity do your keep your night box at? Or is it no longer that important?

I keep tubs of water in the night boxes and humidity fluctuates between 50 and 80% depending on the outside weather. If its hot dry and windy, humidity in the boxes drops. If its particularly cold humidity drops because the heaters are running more. In mild weather or after a rain, humidity rises a bit.

T0rts

united kingdom
I keep tubs of water in the night boxes and humidity fluctuates between 50 and 80% depending on the outside weather. If its hot dry and windy, humidity in the boxes drops. If its particularly cold humidity drops because the heaters are running more. In mild weather or after a rain, humidity rises a bit.
Great, many thanks for the info Tom [emoji4]