Enclosure Humidity

buckminstertortoise

Location (City and/or State)
new york
I am having a hard time keeping the enclosure humid. I bought a humidifier but it only runs for 6 hours keeping the enclosure at 60-70% but when I come home after work it is at 40-50%. I am using Cyprus mulch. There is a dish of water. What else can I do? Will switching the substrate help? I covered the top with some plastic. Not suffocating though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll need to pour lots of water over the substrate then mix it in with your hand. Also, the plastic isn't a good enough cover. It doesn't keep the warm air in and the cooler air from the house out. Your humidity is escaping the plastic.

Darthmaulsmom

Chesapeake
What do you have under the cypress mulch? I have coconut fiber on the bottom topped with the Cypress mulch. Once a week I move some of the mulch and soak the cocnut fiber underneath then push the mulch back over. I also have this humidifier and I have to refill it every day and a half and it keeps my 4ftx3ft enclosure at a good humidity. Evergreen Pet Supplies Reptile Humidifier/Fogger - Large Tank - Ideal for a Variety of Reptiles/Amphibians/Herps - Compatible with All Terrariums and Enclosures https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO9582Y/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20