HUMIDITY QUESTION, bed sheeting.???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearlesshugo

5 Year Member
First off I like to THANKS U ALL for the being so supportive, i been reading online seems like everyone has different answers for how high the humidity should be for the hermans some say 40 % or less some say 50 - 60 % so what is truly the right answer or what have work for some of u.?? would the russians tort require lower amount of humidity then the herman.???

Second question about bedding some ppl say use asben, tortoise pellets, moss, coconut fiber, or hemp but ppl say hemp is the best, what do u think.???
I just want to make sure of everything before i my second tort so, cause i don't want the same thing to happen..

But for now i can't find anybody selling it around the toronto area so i might have to wait till feb when the retile expo comes to town : ( ...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
A comfortable humidity range for Hermann's is anywhere from 50-80%, occasionally even higher. There is a difference in that comfort level when being kept outdoors or indoors too. Outdoors the ambient humidity can drop lower providing that the tortoises have a humid area to retreat to. Also when outdoors mine are out foraging in a rainstorm and shortly after when the humidty level increases into the 90% range. Indoors maintaining a level from 50-65% is more crucial because of their more confined enclosures and the fact that they can quickly become dehydrated with the addition of heat and light in such small spaces.
I keep my Russian tortoises much the same as my Hermann's except that I do not mist them as often while indoors, but do offer them water as much. Even with the indoor temperatures being more consistently warmer and the humidity level hovering in the 50% range all the time my Russian tortoises almost never drink any water. But they should still always have it offered or available.

As far as substrate material I use a mix of organic potting soil, coconut coir, sphagnum moss and leaf litter. For adults I use hay by itself.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have an Hermann too, the substrate I use is Aspen, he really loves it. There is a humid hide in the enclosure since it the substrate is a dry one. If you want to go with hemp, you should go with aspen. They sell it everywhere (in every petstore). Please forget about the pellets because it is too dry, it could hurt your little one and it would be bad if he eats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.