Humidity in Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Monterey, CA
Hi All,
I have been trying to find a better way to maintain humidity for my yearlings and I have finally found the solution ---Hot Pot Express by Rival. I ordered it through amazon for less than $13. It sits in the enclosure giving off steam. You can leave the lid open or closed. My 55 gallon enclosure is at 90% humidity on the low setting. The hot pot does make a boiling sound every 15 minutes but my baby tortoises sleep through.

I just want to share my experience and finding with you and I hope you will find this helpful.
mspbk.jpg

y04ed.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
your 'babies' are getting big..
is there fresh air-ventilation to the tank?
neat idea..
are you building the outdoor enclosure for them yet ?

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
Laura said:
your 'babies' are getting big..
is there fresh air-ventilation to the tank?
neat idea..
are you building the outdoor enclosure for them yet ?

Hi, Laura. Thanks! Yes, they're getting bigger. They're yearlings now...WOOHOO!
A few weeks after we got them, I was very eager to build their outdoor enclosure so we built it. Here's the link to it.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Outdoor-Enclosure-Completed#axzz1nMz6huH2

Yes, there's opening for air flow on the top of the tank. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad it works. However make sure it can't tip over and burn your babies. Also that it won't burn them should they touch it or lean against it. I use a personal humidifier that sits outside the enclosure and is piped in. Works great and no worries of burning, or fire. I am sure you have thought about it, just reminding you. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
marinaresident said:
HtVic said:
why don't you just use humidifier?

I have very much considered using humidifier, however, they're either too big for my tank or they produce cool mist.

Mine is a warm mist humidifier, piped in.

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
wellington said:
Glad it works. However make sure it can't tip over and burn your babies. Also that it won't burn them should they touch it or lean against it. I use a personal humidifier that sits outside the enclosure and is piped in. Works great and no worries of burning, or fire. I am sure you have thought about it, just reminding you. :D

Yes, of course...thanks for the reminder though. Does your personal humidifier gives out 'warm' mist? I'm curious, can you send me a photo of your humidifier setup via PM?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
marinaresident said:
wellington said:

Yes, of course...thanks for the reminder though. Does your personal humidifier gives out 'warm' mist? I'm curious, can you send me a photo of your humidifier setup via PM?

Yes, I will, give me a little bit.

If the pics are inserted in this post in the order I think they will be then the first pic is what it looks like. The other two pics are showing it piped in.

humidifier and Tatum 021.JPG
humidifier and Tatum 020.JPG
humidifier and Tatum 022.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
wellington said:

Forgot to add my P.S. This idea is from someone else on TFO, don't remember who, but Thank You. Not my original:D

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
wellington said:
marinaresident said:
wellington said:

Yes, I will, give me a little bit.

If the pics are inserted in this post in the order I think they will be then the first pic is what it looks like. The other two pics are showing it piped in.

WOW! I like it! Thank you so much for the pics!

M

Maggie Cummings

marinaresident said:
Hi All,
I have been trying to find a better way to maintain humidity for my yearlings and I have finally found the solution ---Hot Pot Express by Rival. I ordered it through amazon for less than $13. It sits in the enclosure giving off steam. You can leave the lid open or closed. My 55 gallon enclosure is at 90% humidity on the low setting. The hot pot does make a boiling sound every 15 minutes but my baby tortoises sleep through.

I just want to share my experience and finding with you and I hope you will find this helpful.
mspbk.jpg

y04ed.jpg

Don't you think that's a little too wet for Sulcata? There doesn't seem anyplace for them to go where they can dry off. Normally a humid hide is quite a bit smaller and gives them an area to go where it's hot and dry...just sayin

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
maggie3fan said:
marinaresident said:
Hi All,

mspbk.jpg

y04ed.jpg

Don't you think that's a little too wet for Sulcata? There doesn't seem anyplace for them to go where they can dry off. Normally a humid hide is quite a bit smaller and gives them an area to go where it's hot and dry...just sayin

No. The opposite end is actually just perfectly right for them. The humidity is only about 65-70 with the CHE or UV light set to On. It worked out just fine.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Those are going to grow up into some smooth tortoises! That is a impressive tank.

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
Bow said:
Those are going to grow up into some smooth tortoises! That is a impressive tank.

Thanks, Bow. I really hope so. When I bought them last year, they were only 16 weeks old and one of them had already formed a slight pyramid. I was so worried that I was constantly spraying their tank. Anyway, thankfully it's warm and sunny today in Monterey CA so they're outside getting some VITA D for the last 2 hours. :)

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
marinaresident said:
Thanks, Bow. I really hope so. When I bought them last year, they were only 16 weeks old and one of them had already formed a slight pyramid. I was so worried that I was constantly spraying their tank. Anyway, thankfully it's warm and sunny today in Monterey CA so they're outside getting some VITA D for the last 2 hours. :)

Haha your welcome. I spray Walter constantly and soak him several times each day, I understand the paranoia feeling. Your lucky, in my yard there's some lovely sun... Reflecting off the snow...

Status
Not open for further replies.