Feel like a steam room inside the enclosure

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I didn't mix it but I put it on top of coco coir instead. Maybe I should give it a try. Thank you!
Mixing may help with any mold problems simply because it can air out. Just a theory.

paemaker

Bangkok, Thailand
@Tom is the one years ago that said a regular fluorescent fixture could be used
He would know or remember more about it than me.
He'd definitely help me out. But can I just ask about my original question once again? I understand that the enclosure should be completely closed but, it shouldn't feel like a steam room, right?
Then should I cut some small vents for air flow? so it doesn't get too hot and too humid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He'd definitely help me out. But can I just ask about my original question once again? I understand that the enclosure should be completely closed but, it shouldn't feel like a steam room, right?
Then should I cut some small vents for air flow? so it doesn't get too hot and too humid.
As long as the temps are correct and the humidity is 80 or higher, it's fine.
If it's too hot, then it needs adjusting
Basking 95-100
All over day and night 80-85
Be sure to use a digital thermometer not the analog puck/disc style.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
That's great info you got there. It seems that I need to find a very special but regular fixture. I hope I can find it somewhere out there, otherwise, I'll have to go with its fixture. Did you find this info in this forum? if it was, I may have to go take a look at it too.
You need regular, but good quality fixture. This forum has tons of information, sometimes buried deep. I've started with searching for the word "ballast" and then went exploring "Similar threads" section. There are less known, but very knowledgeable members like jaizei and markw84, who make deep insights on how things work. Here is one of the examples I've found: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/a-good-and-inexpensive-ho-uvb-option.195550/

Also, for general information on UV and IR I've great posts by lilacdragon bookmarked. Like this one: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/zoomed-digital-uv-index-radiometer.85716/#post-804063 (I've checked all the threads where this user posted - they all make a great reading).

--
On outdoors: Even if your balcony is in shade, there is still some UVB in the sunlight. Temperatures should be closely watched, of course. And what's your plan for the future? Your sulcata will overgrow the indoors enclosure in a couple of years and will need large space outdoors to stay healthy...

paemaker

Bangkok, Thailand
As long as the temps are correct and the humidity is 80 or higher, it's fine.
If it's too hot, then it needs adjusting
Basking 95-100
All over day and night 80-85
Be sure to use a digital thermometer not the analog puck/disc style.
Hmm maybe I really don't truly understand the word "close chamber enclosure" I have to learn more about it.
It should not let air come in or come out right?

I am not concerned about your suggestions but I'm only concerned about my tortoise. I just don't feel right. I might be wrong because I'm doing it right.

paemaker

Bangkok, Thailand
You need regular, but good quality fixture. This forum has tons of information, sometimes buried deep. I've started with searching for the word "ballast" and then went exploring "Similar threads" section. There are less known, but very knowledgeable members like jaizei and markw84, who make deep insights on how things work. Here is one of the examples I've found: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/a-good-and-inexpensive-ho-uvb-option.195550/

Also, for general information on UV and IR I've great posts by lilacdragon bookmarked. Like this one: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/zoomed-digital-uv-index-radiometer.85716/#post-804063 (I've checked all the threads where this user posted - they all make a great reading).

--
On outdoors: Even if your balcony is in shade, there is still some UVB in the sunlight. Temperatures should be closely watched, of course. And what's your plan for the future? Your sulcata will overgrow the indoors enclosure in a couple of years and will need large space outdoors to stay healthy...
You just saved me some time. I haven't started looking at these things yet but will do it ASAP.
Fundamental Reptiles Lighting 101 starting soon.....
BTW have I asked you about what light bulbs you have? if not I'd love to hear from you too. Maybe you have some great ideas I can add to my enclosure.

You asked about what's my plan for the future. Definitely, I'll move to a house that is spacious for my giant tort. I'll make sure he has what he needs to have and when that time comes, I'll ask more questions. At the moment I'm quite afraid that my baby will not make it because of what I have for him.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wish I could say but I'm tweaking my tortoise's enclosure at this point. Lots of things to do and tweak.
It should be much simpler than I think you are making it.
Use a tube florescent for uvb
Incandescent flood or regular incandescent bulb for basking. Either one as long as it reaches 95-100
Ceramic heat emitters for added day heat if needed and night heat.
Put the ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat set to 80-85 for day and night heat.
Uvb needs to only be on 2 hours a day. Use an added led light if needed for extra lighting.
Humidity 80%,high won't hurt. If it's higher, than just
don't add any water to the substrate until it comes down
If you have all this,then you have it right and stop worrying and enjoy your little one. Yes, condensation will build up. It usually will come and go as you open the enclosure for feeding, cleaning, etc. it might feel like a sauna to you, but if all temps and humidity is correct, it's fine.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
BTW have I asked you about what light bulbs you have? if not I'd love to hear from you too. Maybe you have some great ideas I can add to my enclosure.

My lights and heating is different from what you need for a sulcata (I have an adult redfoot), yet I don't mind to share, of course.

1. I have an Arcadia T5HO UVB lamp with their fixture. I use shortest available ShadeDweller 7% model due to low enclosure height, all year access to outdoors sun and low UV requirements for a redfoot. For a sulcata you need Desert 12% model.
2. Near the UVB lamp I also have LED strip lights. So 2/3ds of the enclosure are brigthly lit.
3. For heating I use consumer-grade IR heating panels along the enclosure ceiling.

I have more detailed description of the set up in my introductory post (https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/meet-besha-the-redfoot.208090/). Feel free to ask everything you need.

--
You correctly understand the idea of a "closed chamber" enclosure. That warm and humid environment is what a baby sulcata needs. Tom have explained it some times, that sulcata babies hatch during the rain season and then burrow deep into the ground for a long time, where humidity is high and temperatures are constant.
Don't worry about oxygen levels - tortoise don't need much with their slow paced breathing and even plastic enclosures are not fully hermetic.

A few suggestions for you enclosure:
1. Place two water dishes there (shallow non-glazed terracota or clay saucers). One for drinking (smaller in size) and one for bathing and drinking (larger, so you tortoise can fit into). Sunken them in substrate, so it will be easier to get in and out).
2. I would remove the wood log in the center (unless it's a wood resistant to mold) and place a flat rock or slate under the basking lamp.
3. You may place a larger potted plant for shade. Maybe a young banana palm - it has broad leaves and they will be out of reach for the tortoise.
4. Place basking and UV lamp closer to each other (so heat and UV will be at the same place).

--
I'm glad you have a plan for a future. I wish you good luck and make it all happen!

paemaker

Bangkok, Thailand
It should be much simpler than I think you are making it.
Use a tube florescent for uvb
Incandescent flood or regular incandescent bulb for basking. Either one as long as it reaches 95-100
Ceramic heat emitters for added day heat if needed and night heat.
Put the ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat set to 80-85 for day and night heat.
Uvb needs to only be on 2 hours a day. Use an added led light if needed for extra lighting.
Humidity 80%,high won't hurt. If it's higher, than just
don't add any water to the substrate until it comes down
If you have all this,then you have it right and stop worrying and enjoy your little one. Yes, condensation will build up. It usually will come and go as you open the enclosure for feeding, cleaning, etc. it might feel like a sauna to you, but if all temps and humidity is correct, it's fine.
Right, I may be thinking too much. After all, I just want the best for my tortoise because he deserves to have a good life. Now I should try to stop worrying and start enjoying. Thank you for reminding me of that.

paemaker

Bangkok, Thailand
1. I have an Arcadia T5HO UVB lamp with their fixture. I use shortest available ShadeDweller 7% model due to low enclosure height, all year access to outdoors sun and low UV requirements for a redfoot. For a sulcata you need Desert 12% model.
2. Near the UVB lamp I also have LED strip lights. So 2/3ds of the enclosure are brigthly lit.
3. For heating I use consumer-grade IR heating panels along the enclosure ceiling.
That's right, my sulcata need more intense UVB and 12% is the one I really want. You use IR heating panels, so you don't use a heat lamp. And you use LED strip lights to lighten the whole enclosure. Is that right?
I can't imagine how bright your enclosure is. I'm sure it's very beautiful and cozy for your tortoise.

I have more detailed description of the set up in my introductory post (https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/meet-besha-the-redfoot.208090/). Feel free to ask everything you need.
Your redfoot is super cute! I wish I had more time to read but I have to sleep tho

that sulcata babies hatch during the rain season and then burrow deep into the ground for a long time, where humidity is high and temperatures are constant.
He used to burrow when he was in an old enclosure. It was way smaller than the current one is, also the substrate is way deeper so he can burrow much deeper. The thing is he doesn't borrow like he did. I don't know why.

A few suggestions for you enclosure:
1. Place two water dishes there (shallow non-glazed terracota or clay saucers). One for drinking (smaller in size) and one for bathing and drinking (larger, so you tortoise can fit into). Sunken them in substrate, so it will be easier to get in and out).
2. I would remove the wood log in the center (unless it's a wood resistant to mold) and place a flat rock or slate under the basking lamp.
3. You may place a larger potted plant for shade. Maybe a young banana palm - it has broad leaves and they will be out of reach for the tortoise.
4. Place basking and UV lamp closer to each other (so heat and UV will be at the same place).
  1. I currently have a terracotta dish that I always change water clean everyday. It's for driking and bathing. Mostly he'll just take a bath or just walk past. I've never seen him drinking water from it since I put in inside the enclosure. I wonder if he's ever thirsty or not.
  2. Wood log, it does get mold. I added it to make the enclosure look more interesting so he could climb but he hasn't climbed it yet. I guess it's too high. I can remove it.
  3. I'm planing to get a couple of plants soon but I don't know what to get for him yet. A young baba palm could be the right one. I'm gonna need to find more information on it.
  4. That'll be no problem. I just have to drill the holes myself.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
> You use IR heating panels, so you don't use a heat lamp. And you use LED strip lights to lighten the whole enclosure. Is that right?
Yes, that's right. Redfoots don't bask, but they need consistent temperatures. Enclosure is just 1.5 feet high, that's why I have to use low-profile heating and lightning (and low height is a real pain to deal with it, I'm considering to expand it). LED strips are placed in 2/3rds of the enclosure and 1rd with a night hide is in the shady area. The lights are very bright, I hope they are not too bright.

> Your redfoot is super cute! I wish I had more time to read but I have to sleep tho
Thank you!

> The thing is he doesn't borrow like he did. I don't know why.
I don't know for sure too. Maybe he feels more secure or in the "exploring phase" now, or getting used to a new substrate. But it's not a problem anyway.

> . I've never seen him drinking water from it since I put in inside the enclosure. I wonder if he's ever thirsty or not.
1. Some tortoises actively drink from dishes, some not. And they get thirsty. He might drink when soaking and get some water from food. But water dish should be provided anyway. Sulcatas naturaly evolved to save water as much as they can and when they don't get enough water this may result in bladder stones.

2. If wood log got mold, yes remove it. You can make some cliffs and hills with substrate. Or bury a plant pot to make a cave and hill.

3. There are many safe plants such as spider plant (you can find much more options on this forum). Banana palm is not very safe to eat (however non-toxic) but should provide a lots of shade. Don't be overzealous with plants - it's always better to have more walking space than more shade.

4. Ok!

You are on the right track with making your tortoises' life better. Keep going, ask questions and post some updates on your progress. Photos of you tortoise are always welcome too :)

Jan A

Boulder, CO
You're absolutely right! that's why I always ask you guys in this forum. I started making things right for my tortoise a month ago and it has gone quite well but not smoothly. Now I've got to deal with a new problem, so I'm looking for solutions.

And I'm trying to get the right humid too, I don't pour water but spray some water at some time.
It is all about the tweaking. The tweaking really never stops because you always have changing variables, including your tort is growng & changing. You're doing what you should be doing: asking questions & finding solutions. Good for you!

paemaker

Bangkok, Thailand
Yes, that's right. Redfoots don't bask, but they need consistent temperatures. Enclosure is just 1.5 feet high, that's why I have to use low-profile heating and lightning (and low height is a real pain to deal with it, I'm considering to expand it). LED strips are placed in 2/3rds of the enclosure and 1rd with a night hide is in the shady area. The lights are very bright, I hope they are not too bright.
Never knew Redfoot tortoises don't bask. I really understand how painful it is to deal with lighting when the enclosure is low height. Especially with a coil UVB bulb, you know what I mean by that.

I don't know for sure too. Maybe he feels more secure or in the "exploring phase" now, or getting used to a new substrate. But it's not a problem anyway.
Yes, it's not a problem but I'm just curious why he no longer burrows. As long as he feels good walking around the enclosure, that's fine.

Some tortoises actively drink from dishes, some not. And they get thirsty. He might drink when soaking and get some water from food. But water dish should be provided anyway. Sulcatas naturaly evolved to save water as much as they can and when they don't get enough water this may result in bladder stones.
Oh god, I don't want that to happen to my tortoise! I do everything I can to give him what he needs and I hope he gets enough water.

If wood log got mold, yes remove it. You can make some cliffs and hills with substrate. Or bury a plant pot to make a cave and hill.
I threw it away after I saw your reply haha. I plan to remove both his caves too, because they get mold too.

There are many safe plants such as spider plant (you can find much more options on this forum). Banana palm is not very safe to eat (however non-toxic) but should provide a lots of shade. Don't be overzealous with plants - it's always better to have more walking space than more shade.
I already put 2 plants in the enclosure. A spider plant and a Boston fern, both of them seem to be his favorite plants because he eats them all and these plants became short leaves in a couple of weeks. The real pruning trees service.

You are on the right track with making your tortoises' life better. Keep going, ask questions and post some updates on your progress. Photos of you tortoise are always welcome too
That's so kind of you. I'll definitely keep going on the right track. I've got plenty of good suggestions every single time I post something in this forum. Thank you to you and to everyone as well.

One day I'll get a redfoot and I hope when I come back here, I'll get some good recommendations from you again. 😃

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I wish I could say but I'm tweaking my tortoise's enclosure at this point. Lots of things to do and tweak.
I tweaked so much today it made him stomp around the new substrate. He had a nice aggravating soak and an irritating rest in the half-sun. Did both his businesses on the new substrate, ate again, dived into the hide I'd moved so he'd have to walk farther.

I'm tired.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
> One day I'll get a redfoot and I hope when I come back here, I'll get some good recommendations from you again.

Thank you! Don't forget to post some updates on your sulcata. And there are more questions ahead - outdoor housing, strong fencing and many more :) And tortoise diet is another whole world of knowledge :)