Help needed - Humidity

LeighBear_

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hello guys!

I have a horsefield tortoise who is almost one year old and I am looking for some help/information regarding humidity as I just can't get to grips with it.

Before purchasing my tortoise I read up on them and I remember reading that horsefield tortoises are very sensitive to damp conditions and I thought that I can't have any form of water etc on the substrate.

I started off with the substrate being like wooden chips (it's for tortoises) but noticed my tortoise kept rubbing at her eyes so I changed it to a substrate I purchased from Pets at Home which is a mixture of top soil, sand and limestone grit.

image.jpg
I can't help but notice that my tortoise looks quite dried out and I feel that the soil is very dry too which I think could be the reason my tort is dry.

image.jpg

Can someone please explain the humidity procedure to me? Do I need to wet my soil and what is the ideal humidity I should have?

Sorry if this sounds really stupid, I just want to make sure my tortoise is healthy and happy.

Thank you xx

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They need some moisture, as you've figured out. What they can't handle is cold and damp together. Water the substrate & mix it up.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The substrate sounds good, and should hold water nicely because of the topsoil. If your tort is looking a little dry, try giving her nice long bath, but only about once a week because they can actually lose moisture bathing. Spray clean, conditioned water (a couple drops) a few times a week into the enclosure so that the humidity can be kept at a level temperature.
Good luck!

LeighBear_

Edinburgh, Scotland
They need some moisture, as you've figured out. What they can't handle is cold and damp together. Water the substrate & mix it up.

The substrate sounds good, and should hold water nicely because of the topsoil. If your tort is looking a little dry, try giving her nice long bath, but only about once a week because they can actually lose moisture bathing. Spray clean, conditioned water (a couple drops) a few times a week into the enclosure so that the humidity can be kept at a level temperature.
Good luck!

Thank you for both of your replies! This really helps and I will do what you guys suggest and hopefully it works.

Thanks again! :)

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I would be careful with that substrate; very sandy and the bits of limestone may be very appealing to your tortoise to try and eat.

You can create the humidity you want with just plain top soil, just keep it moist.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Good luck!
What is conditioned water?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To give a little more detail where it was missed.
Warm water soaks/baths, 20-30 usually every day for yearlings and under, but follow what Tom says in his caresheet. Conditioned water? Not sure what that is suppose to mean. For spraying the enclousre, just warm tap water is fine.
I agree with YourLocalPoet, my leopards and russian likes to taste everything white. Those little stones could build up and cause an impaction.
And again, follow Toms caresheet.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
What is conditioned water?
If you use a 'water conditioner', like a liquid to purify the water of any chemicals... it's a bit of a conversation whether you need that or not.
I thank you for quoting this. Going back in time, even a few months, allows me to see just how much I have learned! :D

Heather H

N.E. ohio
If you use a 'water conditioner', like a liquid to purify the water of any chemicals... it's a bit of a conversation whether you need that or not.
I thank you for quoting this. Going back in time, even a few months, allows me to see just how much I have learned! :D
I'm reading everything I can. And taking notes. I don't look at the date .

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I rarely spry it down anymore, to me it proved minimal in effectiveness, I choose to dig shallow holes in the substrate and pour water in to keep the humidity up then cover back up the holes once the water mostly disperses, I suppose a funnel would do the same.