Eye swollen

kng_momo

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have a Russian tortoise and I’ve had him for a couple weeks. This is my first time having a tortoise and I’ve read a lot on how to take care but I just need more help.
One of his eyes is swollen on the bottom and it’s been closed for the past couple days, I’ve washed it with warm water when I give him his soak and it’s slowly opening but I don’t want this to happen again.
His substrate is a mix of top soil, peat moss, and cypress mulch, 60:10:30 and we keep it moist. We spot clean everyday, if I let him roam in the backyard I keep him on the mulch and not so much the grass. He drinks when we soak him, his eyes aren’t glossy, his feces is normal...
I just hope I’m doing the right things...image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's certainly NOT normal, and not desired. Since it's only one eye, it's probably not due to his living environment. Start soaking him daily in warm water that comes up slightly higher than the halfway mark on his shell. Leave him in there for a half hour each time. Then dry him off and apply some eye ointment. Vetericyn is a good brand.

kng_momo

CA
That's certainly NOT normal, and not desired. Since it's only one eye, it's probably not due to his living environment. Start soaking him daily in warm water that comes up slightly higher than the halfway mark on his shell. Leave him in there for a half hour each time. Then dry him off and apply some eye ointment. Vetericyn is a good brand.
Alright I’ll definitely try that, thank you!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Agree with Yvonne. Please follow her guidance. That poor right eye doesn't look good - very dry & sunken. Soak, soak, soak!