Humidity help

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
First night with our baby Sulcata and I'm having a hard time keeping their humidity up...I've got them in a glass tank for the time being; to hold heat and humidity, I'm going to downsize or raise basking light. I'm trying to keep the humidity 80% and above and around 80 degrees (at night) and obviously higher during the day. Does anyone have a humidity secret thats worked great for them? Just don't want little one neglected. Anything helps! He's a had a great day and whooped from a long flight. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480743621.531722.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
First night with our baby Sulcata and I'm having a hard time keeping their humidity up...I've got them in a glass tank for the time being; to hold heat and humidity, I'm going to downsize or raise basking light. I'm trying to keep the humidity 80% and above and around 80 degrees (at night) and obviously higher during the day. Does anyone have a humidity secret thats worked great for them? Just don't want little one neglected. Anything helps! He's a had a great day and whooped from a long flight. View attachment 193663

Is the enclosure covered?
Is the substrate damp throughout? )Not just misted)

You won't raise humidity unless both of these are done.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Is the enclosure covered?
Is the substrate damp throughout? )Not just misted)

You won't raise humidity unless both of these are done.

It is enclosed but I could probably soak the substrate more. Thank you!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It is enclosed but I could probably soak the substrate more. Thank you!!
The substrate must be evenly damp throughout, not wet and not just damp at the top.

The temperatures also need to be correct.

Cold and damp leads to respiratory infections
Wet leads to shell rot

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
The substrate must be evenly damp throughout, not wet and not just damp at the top.

The temperatures also need to be correct.

Cold and damp leads to respiratory infections
Wet leads to shell rot

That's what I'm afraid of. Temp and humidity is holding good at 80 and 90% now.
Is the best way to dampen the substrate throughout is by taking it out and misting and mixing until you have an even consistency throughout? Thanks for the help!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That's what I'm afraid of. Temp and humidity is holding good at 80 and 90% now.
Is the best way to dampen the substrate throughout is by taking it out and misting and mixing until you have an even consistency throughout? Thanks for the help!
Take the decor out, tip some water in from a jug and then mix it thoroughly with your hands. Repeat until you're happy that all the substrate is dampened. Don't tip too much in at a time so you avoid getting it sodden.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Take the decor out, tip some water in from a jug and then mix it thoroughly with your hands. Repeat until you're happy that all the substrate is dampened. Don't tip too much in at a time so you avoid getting it sodden.

That's great! I'll do this during his soaking in the morning!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas

I did what you said and we've been holding 83% humidity for 2 hours now! So far so good!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well done. If you mist a couple of times a day then it will slow the rate it dries out.

You will need to tip water in again in a few weeks. I can't say how long as it varies, but don't get too neurotic about trying to hold it at exactly 80% :)

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Well done. If you mist a couple of times a day then it will slow the rate it dries out.

You will need to tip water in again in a few weeks. I can't say how long as it varies, but don't get too neurotic about trying to hold it at exactly 80% :)

I know it! Just rookie Sulcata parents and just want to do things the right way!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480791398.233825.jpg

Watching college football with dad this morning.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Last edited: