Is this all ok for my sully

robandcole

Location (City and/or State)
South west Florida
Ok basking temp under mvb is 108-110, hot side humid hide is 95 and 80% humidity... cool end of cage hide is 80 with 78-80% humidity... Mid cage is 82-88 and 80% humidity.... night low all over is never lower than 80 and 75-80% humidity... He goes out side a couple times a week for grass and sun... He gets fresh greens of all kinds (sulcata safe always) plus grass and weeds from yard... He has a water dish (plant saucer) and I mist once and while to keep humidity arround 80% he gets soaked once a day..... Also he gets calcium powder every other day... He is around two and half months old and shell is still kind of soft new mvb hopeing to improve that tho...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All sounds good to me. Just be sure when taking him outside, that he has plenty of shade.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok basking temp under mvb is 108-110, hot side humid hide is 95 and 80% humidity... cool end of cage hide is 80 with 78-80% humidity... Mid cage is 82-88 and 80% humidity.... night low all over is never lower than 80 and 75-80% humidity... He goes out side a couple times a week for grass and sun... He gets fresh greens of all kinds (sulcata safe always) plus grass and weeds from yard... He has a water dish (plant saucer) and I mist once and while to keep humidity arround 80% he gets soaked once a day..... Also he gets calcium powder every other day... He is around two and half months old and shell is still kind of soft new mvb hopeing to improve that tho...

All sounds good to me except the basking temp. I would raise that lamp up just a little. Incandescent lamps are a necessary evil at this point (until we find something better...) but I try to minimize the desiccating damage they cause. Basking area of 95-100 and spray the shell several times a day. Make them sleep in a humid hide too.

I wouldn't do calcium more than a couple of times a week. It can interfere with absorption of other important minerals and trace elements. Twice a week on the calcium with a good high fiber, high calcium diet every day should be good.

robandcole

South west Florida
The mvb is already about fifteen inches away from the tort. If I raise it much more it will cut back on the uvb right ? Would that still be ok? It is a 125 watt bulb solar glo mvb exoterra... And he does sleep in humid hide...I will cut back on cal powder... I do have a quick question for you tho... Yesterday my torts underside was fine nice and flat, and this am it looked like someone pressed on his underside real hard... and it was indented like a thumb print. I know no one did that to him, so what could that be from?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The mvb is already about fifteen inches away from the tort. If I raise it much more it will cut back on the uvb right ? Would that still be ok? It is a 125 watt bulb solar glo mvb exoterra... And he does sleep in humid hide...I will cut back on cal powder... I do have a quick question for you tho... Yesterday my torts underside was fine nice and flat, and this am it looked like someone pressed on his underside real hard... and it was indented like a thumb print. I know no one did that to him, so what could that be from?

MVBs usually make a lot of UV so another couple inches farther should not be a problem. The only way to know is to measure with a good UV meter. Its more important to have the correct basking temp. And your tortoise gets outside time too right?

How old is your tortoise and what does it weigh? Where did you get it and how was it started, wet or dry method?

robandcole

South west Florida
The tort is two and half months old from tortiosesupply.com. weighs 38 grams he has not need eating much lately I didn't have a mvb up till three days ago but do take it out side cup times week... I just learned about the mvbs I had a coil light but stopped useing it cuz it says there bad news so I'm thinkin maybe he was not getting enough uvb that may be why he only gained one gram in like three weeks he does eat and poo ok just not gaining and shell is kind of soft too I emaild Tyler and he said it would be got few months thanks for all help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The tort is two and half months old from tortiosesupply.com. weighs 38 grams he has not need eating much lately I didn't have a mvb up till three days ago but do take it out side cup times week... I just learned about the mvbs I had a coil light but stopped useing it cuz it says there bad news so I'm thinkin maybe he was not getting enough uvb that may be why he only gained one gram in like three weeks he does eat and poo ok just not gaining and shell is kind of soft too I emaild Tyler and he said it would be got few months thanks for all help

How often do you soak the tortoise?
How long have you had the tortoise?

38 grams at 10 weeks old indicates a problem somewhere.

robandcole

South west Florida
I emailed Tyler at tortiosesupply.com and told him everything. Sent pics of everything too... Hopefully I can figure this out as to why he is not gaining weight....