humidity/heating and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tootsietort611

5 Year Member
New to the tortoise world, this is Tootsie, he is a Russian tort. He flashed us the other day and we are still trying to recover form the shock LOL course we worry about everything form food to lighting etc his cage is a rabbit type cage so its kind of high, using 2 heat lights to get it warm and the UVB is a coil light, I am pretty sure we need to get a tube type light but how far does it need to be above him to be beneficial?? using Aspen for his bedding which is quite dry, how do we add humidity to the enclosure that is so open on all sides? should we be spritzing water on it? He was peeing a lot of white stuff but that is better, he eats very well and are tyring to vary his greens and such. we live in western NY so too cold to get him outside for natural sunlight, maybe by May! so many more questions but will ask later any advice would be appreciated thanks!:tort:

Attachments

• tootspic2.jpg
    tootspic2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 47

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) switch the substrate to plain dirt, coconut coir or cypress mulch. I think dirt would be the best for a Russian, they like to burrow. Get rid of the coil light, it can cause eye problems. The humidity of 50% for a Russian is good. Switch the rabbit cage out for a large tub sold at stores like Home Depot. Others should be able to help further.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Welcome!!! Got your Tootsie in flippity flops!! lol I have Eloise in a 54 gal rubbermaid tub $20 at home depot it his tall enough that I can create obstacles for her to climb over with out climbing out and long enough that she has plenty of room to roam...I've only had her for 3 weeks but this home seems to make her happy....the white stuff is urates if she's expelling them it means she's getting plenty of hydration...she will always expell them. I thin kfrom what I have read here that it's a split choice between using Organic topsoil or the 50/50 mix of cocoa coir/playsand....I was going to go with the organic top soil but my local store do not start carrying it until the end of February so I went with the 50/50 mix for her substrate she seems to like it.....Good Luck!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I personally would use a substrate that is one third play sand and two thirds organic topsoil. Definitely get rid of the coil UVB bulb and get a Powersun 100W. That should be about 12 to 18 inches from a rock for the tortoise to bask on. What are your temps? Do you have a hide for your tortoise? You've got a good looking tortoise by the way. :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good advice above. As you can see, several substrate choices, just make sure it is 4-6" deep for burrowing. You can add water, just pour and mix it up, weekly or so to keep the underlayers moist (damp, not sopping). Don't worry about air humidity if you do that and soak him.
Get rid of the coil bulb; see if you can return it. Tube lights for UV (with a basking light for warmth) are fine. Put your lights on a timer, on 12-14 hours per day, off at night. No night heat needed if your house is >60. Russians need to cool off overnight, then warm up under the basking light.
*Make sure you are not over heating him: basking side 95f under the light, but they need a cool side of 70f which can drop lower overnight.
Good information about diet and care:
http://russiantortoise.net/
Good supplement to sprinkle on food, and keep a cuttlebone in the enclosure for nibbling if they want.
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=page&id=10

Welcome!

Glad you are looking into an outside enclosure, probably May to September in your area. They love it outside.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I spray down the top of my Russians coir everyday to maintain humidity too. I just use a spray bottle and give it a few squirts.

tootsietort611

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
I personally would use a substrate that is one third play sand and two thirds organic topsoil. Definitely get rid of the coil UVB bulb and get a Powersun 100W. That should be about 12 to 18 inches from a rock for the tortoise to bask on. What are your temps? Do you have a hide for your tortoise? You've got a good looking tortoise by the way. :D

Thanks for all the good advice! My daughter has him with her at college so its been a learning experience to say the least lol I will suggest she switch to the large plastic tote, he does not seem to be interested in the rock that we put in there and he stays on the heated side unless he is eating, the temps on that side are around 85 and the other side seems to run around 70. she has a good size wooden log he likes to go into at night and burrow a bit. She needs to invest in a good thermometer with a humidity Gage to get more accurate readings. also we are switching out that coil bulb for the tube type UVB setup.
One concern, Tootsie has about a one inch small split on part of his shell, problem now is that his pieces of his substrate get stuck in the split and we are worried this may cause problems. Is this something we should be concerned about and is there something we should do for this? I will get a picture of it to show you. Is it important to be moistening the substrate? It is awfully dry.... Thanks for all the advice, will check back for more!! Thanks, we think tootsie is a pretty good looking tort also! hes got a personality too :tort:

tootsietort611

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) switch the substrate to plain dirt, coconut coir or cypress mulch. I think dirt would be the best for a Russian, they like to burrow. Get rid of the coil light, it can cause eye problems. The humidity of 50% for a Russian is good. Switch the rabbit cage out for a large tub sold at stores like Home Depot. Others should be able to help further.

Thanks for all the great advice :D

tootsietort611

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Good advice above. As you can see, several substrate choices, just make sure it is 4-6" deep for burrowing. You can add water, just pour and mix it up, weekly or so to keep the underlayers moist (damp, not sopping). Don't worry about air humidity if you do that and soak him.
Get rid of the coil bulb; see if you can return it. Tube lights for UV (with a basking light for warmth) are fine. Put your lights on a timer, on 12-14 hours per day, off at night. No night heat needed if your house is >60. Russians need to cool off overnight, then warm up under the basking light.
*Make sure you are not over heating him: basking side 95f under the light, but they need a cool side of 70f which can drop lower overnight.
Good information about diet and care:
http://russiantortoise.net/
Good supplement to sprinkle on food, and keep a cuttlebone in the enclosure for nibbling if they want.
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=page&id=10

Welcome!

Glad you are looking into an outside enclosure, probably May to September in your area. They love it outside.

Thanks we will make some changes, just want to keep him healthy and happy! He is my daughters tort ( she has him away at college ) and she worries about everything she does or does not do ! she sprinkles calcium on his greens a few times a week I think a change in substrate is needed and will start moistening the bottom layers, she does soak him a couple times a week or so. The pet store suggested the rabbit cage, but seems like everyone agrees that a large plastic tote is better , have to change out some of the lighting fixtures then. More questions later i think lol :tort:

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
tootsietort611 said:
Spn785 said:

Thanks for all the good advice! My daughter has him with her at college so its been a learning experience to say the least lol I will suggest she switch to the large plastic tote, he does not seem to be interested in the rock that we put in there and he stays on the heated side unless he is eating, the temps on that side are around 85 and the other side seems to run around 70. she has a good size wooden log he likes to go into at night and burrow a bit. She needs to invest in a good thermometer with a humidity Gage to get more accurate readings. also we are switching out that coil bulb for the tube type UVB setup.
One concern, Tootsie has about a one inch small split on part of his shell, problem now is that his pieces of his substrate get stuck in the split and we are worried this may cause problems. Is this something we should be concerned about and is there something we should do for this? I will get a picture of it to show you. Is it important to be moistening the substrate? It is awfully dry.... Thanks for all the advice, will check back for more!! Thanks, we think tootsie is a pretty good looking tort also! hes got a personality too :tort:

For advice on this I think we would need to see a picture. It may require a vet visit or it may not. Please post a pic. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Agree with the shell pic.

If you use topsoil/coir (I use a mix) and keep the lower layers moist, you don't need to worry about a humidity gauge yet.

I think your basking side does need to be warmer, closer to 95f. But make sure you have an accurate thermometer first so you don't overheat him!

This is a great thermometer, as you 'point' it at the spot you want to check and it gives you an instant reading.
(just an example for the pic, you can get it on Amazon or Tortoise Supply, etc.).
http://www.petco.com/product/115362...5&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515422315

tootsietort611

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:

If you use topsoil/coir (I use a mix) and keep the lower layers moist, you don't need to worry about a humidity gauge yet.

I think your basking side does need to be warmer, closer to 95f. But make sure you have an accurate thermometer first so you don't overheat him!

This is a great thermometer, as you 'point' it at the spot you want to check and it gives you an instant reading.
(just an example for the pic, you can get it on Amazon or Tortoise Supply, etc.).
http://www.petco.com/product/115362...5&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515422315

Thanks everyone, I will have her take a pic of the shell so you can see it, she is trying to buy new substrate today but she is in small community with ONE pet store and a walmart so she is looking to see what they have for now. Def will add some moisture to the bedding. Also will invest in a good thermometer. Going to order the tube UVB light on amazon or similar site. The pet stores have outrageous prices for a lot of these items! Pics to follow soon, thanks! :tort:

tootsietort611

5 Year Member
tootsietort611 said:
lynnedit said:

Thanks everyone, I will have her take a pic of the shell so you can see it, she is trying to buy new substrate today but she is in small community with ONE pet store and a walmart so she is looking to see what they have for now. Def will add some moisture to the bedding. Also will invest in a good thermometer. Going to order the tube UVB light on amazon or similar site. The pet stores have outrageous prices for a lot of these items! Pics to follow soon, thanks! :tort:

SORRY let me clarify, I said it wrong in regards to the " split" in his shell it is NOT one inch wide split it is about an inch LONG but is a hariline crack might be a better word, you will see when I post the pic, we might be over reacting just she dosent think it was there when she got him but it is not super noticeable, thanks!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
tootsietort611 said:
tootsietort611 said:
lynnedit said:

SORRY let me clarify, I said it wrong in regards to the " split" in his shell it is NOT one inch wide split it is about an inch LONG but is a hariline crack might be a better word, you will see when I post the pic, we might be over reacting just she dosent think it was there when she got him but it is not super noticeable, thanks!

I figured it was one inch long, if it was one inch wide most people would freak out and a vet visit would definitely be necessary. :)

tootsietort611

5 Year Member
Hi, here are some pictures of his shell, not sure if you can see it very well. It is not very pronounced but his bedding gets stuck in the little crevice so we are worried that might cause problems. I am not sure of the skeletal makeup of torts, if there is a bony part under the outer shell, maybe you can tell me if he needs to see a vet etc. Thanks for the info! :tort:

oh it also seems to be a bit soft underneath this crevice..

Attachments

• 130130_019.jpg
    130130_019.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 130130_020.jpg
    130130_020.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.