Humidity for how long?

rissa_noelle

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I have a baby sulcata, he is about 8 months old. I read that they should have a humid enclosure. I bought a fogger/mister that's used for reptiles and he seems to really like it. But I'm just curious how long do baby sulcatas need that much humidity? I know they're a desert tortoise but I'm not sure when they will be okay without the humidity.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I have a baby sulcata, he is about 8 months old. I read that they should have a humid enclosure. I bought a fogger/mister that's used for reptiles and he seems to really like it. But I'm just curious how long do baby sulcatas need that much humidity? I know they're a desert tortoise but I'm not sure when they will be okay without the humidity.
They should have humidity as long as the shell is growing, what is your humidity at? I'm sure someone with a lot more experience can probably elaborate on my answer and help you.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are NOT a desert species. They do not occur in deserts. They come from forrest edges and grasslands. A substantial amount of annual rainfall is needed to maintain grass lands and forests. This is a very common misconception and it leads to all sorts of harm to this and other species. Just wanted you to know the real deal. :)

As Jay said, they need humidity as long as they are growing. Its less important the bigger they get, but always beneficial.

I don't recommend foggers and misters for babies. The best thing to do is use a closed chamber so that you don't need those things. A closed chamber makes temperature and humidity maintenance easy and it produces the best results by far.

rissa_noelle

Utah
They are NOT a desert species. They do not occur in deserts. They come from forrest edges and grasslands. A substantial amount of annual rainfall is needed to maintain grass lands and forests. This is a very common misconception and it leads to all sorts of harm to this and other species. Just wanted you to know the real deal. :)

As Jay said, they need humidity as long as they are growing. Its less important the bigger they get, but always beneficial.

I don't recommend foggers and misters for babies. The best thing to do is use a closed chamber so that you don't need those things. A closed chamber makes temperature and humidity maintenance easy and it produces the best results by far.

What kind of enclosed chamber do you recommend? I currently have a "Tortoise House" which we got because lots of research led us to believe this is a good enclosure for them.

rissa_noelle

Utah
They should have humidity as long as the shell is growing, what is your humidity at? I'm sure someone with a lot more experience can probably elaborate on my answer and help you.

Okay that makes sense. Honestly, I'm not sure what the humidity is at, is there a good thermometer or way that you recommend for me to find that out? I'm still a new owner so I'm not quite sure about these things.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Okay that makes sense. Honestly, I'm not sure what the humidity is at, is there a good thermometer or way that you recommend for me to find that out? I'm still a new owner so I'm not quite sure about these things.
Hello there, these are just some ideas. The AcuRite models are relatively cheap and easy to use. I picked mine up at the Home Depot, you can find them at Lowe's, Walmart or buy them offline. Here's a screenshot to give you an idea what to look for. They have many models, but the $10 ones seem to work just fine.Screenshot_2018-04-26-02-12-08.jpg

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I have several of the black $8 accurite monitors in Jays picture above. They work well and have a magnet on the back which helps with mounting them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What kind of enclosed chamber do you recommend? I currently have a "Tortoise House" which we got because lots of research led us to believe this is a good enclosure for them.
Like most aspects of care for this species, most of the advice you read is wrong and research you do is reading the same old incorrect info. This is a problem we've been trying to correct here for years. Here is the correct care info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Briannesmith1

Tucson
@Tom In my current situation I have a friend building a closed chamber for my 2 month old Sulcata. I was not sure how long the build would take given he has many jobs going at once. I bought the Fogger to keep the humidity around 70% in his glass open top cage. I have covered the top of his cage with a plastic lid to keep as much humidity inside as possible. There is no pyramiding if any it is very slight. He is very active eats a spring mix, gets soaks 1 time a day and time outside in the sun as well as calcium. I live in Arizona hence the struggle to keep the humidity up. Do you think this is okay for the time being? What should I do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom In my current situation I have a friend building a closed chamber for my 2 month old Sulcata. I was not sure how long the build would take given he has many jobs going at once. I bought the Fogger to keep the humidity around 70% in his glass open top cage. I have covered the top of his cage with a plastic lid to keep as much humidity inside as possible. There is no pyramiding if any it is very slight. He is very active eats a spring mix, gets soaks 1 time a day and time outside in the sun as well as calcium. I live in Arizona hence the struggle to keep the humidity up. Do you think this is okay for the time being? What should I do?
Sounds like you are doing okay for the time being. Things will get earsier and better once the closed chamber is built. The diet needs much improvement and much more variety. Check this out for ideas:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Briannesmith1

Tucson
I also have been feeding him a grazing tortoise grass mixture from Carolina pet supply! Is that a good variety of grasses and weeds?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also have been feeding him a grazing tortoise grass mixture from Carolina pet supply! Is that a good variety of grasses and weeds?
That is a good start, but they should be eating lots and lots of different things. You've just got a few things there. Get some opuntia (nopales) form a local store, or grow your own. Find some mulberry trees or grape vines near you. Grow gazania, alfalfa, African hibiscus, clover, and many many more from seed. Grow various squash plants and feed the leaves and blooms. How about a lavatera bush?

Briannesmith1

Tucson
That is a good start, but they should be eating lots and lots of different things. You've just got a few things there. Get some opuntia (nopales) form a local store, or grow your own. Find some mulberry trees or grape vines near you. Grow gazania, alfalfa, African hibiscus, clover, and many many more from seed. Grow various squash plants and feed the leaves and blooms. How about a lavatera bush?

I do have some cactus pads growing on my front porch, although they take forever! I live in an apartment but I’m buying a house in the next year or two with a nice big yard once Jaxx gets big enough! Do you know what is the easiest to plant inside?

Briannesmith1

Tucson
And it looks like mulberry trees are banned where I live? Who would have knew. (Tucson, Arizona)