Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No one knows the answer to this. No one will know it for several hundred years. They have only been commonly kept here in the US since about 1990.

Most reptile grow to adult size relatively quickly and then slow down a lot. I have read that they continue growing, albeit very slowly, for the rest of their lives.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I was under the impression that the oldest on record was (is?) about 56 years old!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
140 is the biggest ive heard of personally for the non-sudanese variety however im certain they get bigger. Pics!

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
My profile pic is him. I also have a 15 pound sulcata. I will post pics of them tomorrow and maybe you guys can tell me if they look healthy? Thanks!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mikey, unless something goes terribly wrong, I can guarantee that your tortoise has A LOT of years left.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Pretty much "forever" (not really forever, but an exceedingly long time). With certain types of animals, many tortoises seemingly among them, it is not the age itself and associated cellular degradation that appears to do them in, but an external factor like a pathogenic microorganism, a parasite load that is too high, an environmental quirk, or a predator. A combination of these things often exacerbates matters and will act in concert to result in an untimely tortoise demise more quickly than it might occur otherwise. In pet tortoises, I would bet human keepers are the number one root cause of tortoise death. Do you ever wonder why those of us who breed can produce legions of babies and still have a strong demand for more babies? It is because most babies in captivity likely die. Hatchling fragility is one thing, and some do simply fail to thrive, but it usually seems to be a keeper mistake that offs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.