Humidity for 10 inch leopard

Subersibo

10 Year Member!

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
I personally like my humidity really high for leopards i aim for 90% or so. At ten inches he has some growing to do still. Is the humidity in your night box outside? Or do you keep him indoors?

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
He's been living outdoors Spring to Summer this year in a heated/ insulated house. Humidity has been in the 60's and temps in the 80's.
I've recently brought him inside but can't seem to raise the humidity above 50 since getting rid of my closed chambers. I use the same heating elements and damp substrate. He's been more active and eating a lot indoors. Outdoors he spends all his time in the house cause of the cold.
Anyway, I read in another thread that humidity at this size isn't such a bug issue anymore so I'm kinda conflicted. This is the thread I'm referring to:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/should-i-build-a-humid-hide-for-my-adult-leopards.134434/

Last edited:

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Indoors what I have for him is a tort table with a powersun 100 and an additional 100 watt bulb for light and heat. His hide is similar to his outdoor house but a little smaller (about 30"x36"). That is where I have the heat mat and heat panel.
I connect that heated indoor house to the table.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Very handsome tortoise. Congratulations.

I would think that obtaining any high levels of humidity is nearly impossible in an open top table.
Thanks!
Yes, the table is open but his hide is a large nightbox which I close at night so it's kinda like what he has outdoors. I've been having difficulty keeping humidity in there.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
I think once they reach that size, you just want to make sure you don't get super low levels like 20s or 30s, which may be hard if you have a very heated open table. If the night box is humid enough, you can probably get by with it, just make sure temps are high enough in night box.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
So at a lower humidity level is it ok to bring down the temps to the mid or high 70's? He does get to bask during the day via the mvb and additional heat bulb.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Because I live in Oregon and my leopard doesn't have the high basking temps right now, I keep his house temps at or above 80 regardless of the RH.

However, during the warmer months, I do allow his house temps to be in the mid to high 70s.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
So at a lower humidity level is it ok to bring down the temps to the mid or high 70's? He does get to bask during the day via the mvb and additional heat bulb.

I try to stick to 80 even at low humidity, because it seems to vary as to how tolerant they are of temps below that. I know some people allow theirs to get much cooler without problems, but some can get a respiratory issue even if it dips a little below 80 and is relatively dry. I think a lot of it has to do with how acclimated they are to varying temps - if they've been kept at consistently high temps and then there is a sudden drop to 78, their system does not respond well to that.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I try to stick to 80 even at low humidity, because it seems to vary as to how tolerant they are of temps below that. I know some people allow theirs to get much cooler without problems, but some can get a respiratory issue even if it dips a little below 80 and is relatively dry. I think a lot of it has to do with how acclimated they are to varying temps - if they've been kept at consistently high temps and then there is a sudden drop to 78, their system does not respond well to that.
Thanks! I've kept his quarters in the 80's since reading the responses here. Humidity stays pretty moderate (40-50's).