Radiant heat panel ideal height

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
If used in an insulated outdoor house (2'x4'x2') along with a heat mat, what is the ideal height I should place an 80 watt radiant heat panel to get the most out of it? Both heating elements are going to be used with a thermostat.
My leopard tort is 9.5" and about 4-5" in height (with legs in shell).
Would this combo of heat panel and mat be able to keep the box warm enough on cold nights?
Colder night temps here reach mid 20's during winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would lower it down so that it is 6-8" from the tortoise's carapace and directly over the heat mat. This way a warmed up tortoise can move off of the heat sources when it wants to.

None of us can tell you if your box will be warm enough. There are many variable to consider, but only your thermometer can answer that question. If the box is sealed and well insulted, it should work just fine.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Ok ill set it 6" from him. I am still waiting for my night box to be completed. Hopefully it'll be done by next week. I already have the heat panel and heat mat.
Also considering an oil-filled radiator in case the other heating elements don't work out for me but I hope they do as they cost me a lot hehe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ok ill set it 6" from him. I am still waiting for my night box to be completed. Hopefully it'll be done by next week. I already have the heat panel and heat mat.
Also considering an oil-filled radiator in case the other heating elements don't work out for me but I hope they do as they cost me a lot hehe.

Winter nights here are routinely in the 30s, with occasional dips into the 20's and this heating strategy works well for me here. If your box is sealed and insulated, it should work for you too.